Skip to content
Hello everyone. Type 1
smilingis4theweak posted:
Greetings all- a little info about myself. Male. I will be 41 at the end of this month and have had type 1 diabetes for 29 yrs. my blood sugars have been better progressivly over the years with advances in meds & treatments... Although I think they're messing with evolution & survival of the fittest lol my last A1c was 5.1. As for complications I could probably be a poster child for most of them, from eye & teeth problems and leg & joint pain to circulation and digestive issues as well as skin problems- which I can say have recently vanished with the help of my brothers kidney. I've been the height and weight that I am now since I was 12 ( 5 ft4 130 lbs).I lost alot of weight before I was diagnosed & weighed about 90lbs, docs think I had diabetes for about a year before the diagnosis. I grew up in a small town in upstate NY am (was?) very athletic as a teen and young adult. I am very unemotional. I have a high tolerance for pain, and for high and low sugar levels. ie 600 doesnt bother me physically nor does a blood sugar of 23... although if I cross that magic # I get the usual shakes & disorientation and occasionally find mysely in a pile of my own sweat & drool from the low.

NWSmom4g responded:
Good to meet you. I hope you'll find this message board of interest.

Nancy

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi smiling and welcome,

A kidney from your brother - wow! I'm glad you have improved so dramatically. Here's hoping you avoid sweat & drool

Happy almost birthday - do you have any special plans? Welcome to the "40s".

Haylen

smilingis4theweak replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Haylen. Nope- no special plans for 41 although I may take a ride to NY from TN on my motorcycle around my birthday

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.