Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
diabetic socks
dustnbones99 posted:
I've tried all the brands that i can find in local stores. The name brands don't seem to be any better then the dollar store ones. They all cause sores from the rough seams or they're too tight. I have a big problem with edema in my left ankle and right foot so i need something loose. Does anyone know of a good web site where i can get some?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mhall6252 responded:
Dusty - I went to amazon.com and typed in "women's diabetic socks" and got quite a few options. You can read the reviews and see if any of them would fit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_22?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=women%27s diabetic socks&sprefix=women%27s diabetic socks%2Caps%2C146

I hope this helps.

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

dianer01 responded:
Hi Dusty,

You may want to look for Hiking socks. They are often made of natural fibers such as cotton or wool and they may be a little streachier than normal socks. Look for those with flat or no toe seams.

I have done pretty well with athletic socks with a flat toe seam. I have a large foot so I also look for the larger sock size.

good luck
accelerate out of the corners

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to dianer01's response:
Be sure and come back and tell us if you found a winner!

For anyone else looking for foot care information, click this link:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/caring-feet

Haylen

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
The term "diabetic sock" is made up for marketing purposes and it allows for a big price tag. What tends to set them apart is that they don't have seams that rub and are made of fibers that wick away moisture such as cotton, wool, hemp, and bamboo and they aremore stretchy so they don't dig in to your skin. Others are more elastic support hose and these would compress the tissues possibly improving the edema, but they atr very tight and could be challenging to put on. I would look for socks that meet your needs with an emphasis on natural fibers, lack of seams, and a cut (height on the leg) that you find comfortable.

Kind regards, Laurie

dustnbones99 replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Thanks for the help. I've tried several of the ones from Amazon but had the same problems--rough material and seams that cause sores or too tight. I've even tried the men's socks which were too big. I think i'll try hiking socks next. The only ones i've found so far that i liked were merino wool ones i bought in an Irish shop. I think they were called "Irish cottage". They were lovely, soft and loose without the horrible seams. The only problem is that they were too pricey, something like 17.00, and not easy to find.

Aggie60 replied to dustnbones99's response:
Although they are not called diabetic socks, my favorites are Smartwool (the only wool I can wear) and Thurlo. Both brands come in more than the usual 2 sizes. Smartwool socks can frequently be found on sale at SierraTradingPost.com. The colors and patterns are cool, too! Hope this helps.

dustnbones99 replied to Aggie60's response:
Thanks. I'll check them out.

mustang37b responded:
I have ask a question? if I am just preDiabetes should still special socks and shoe, because not a full Diabeates

meemopeg responded:
I usually get my support socks and diabetic socks from www.supporthosestore.com. They are pricey, but I just ordered the Jobst SensiFoot Knee High and they are for those of us with diabetes. No seam across the toe that you can feel and I have to have support hose and it tells you that with diabetes 8-15mmHg is the strength we should wear. They usually have a sale of some type going on. They also have plain diabetes socks. I really like the ones I just got. They help my edema in my legs and are soft and easy to wear. Their toll free phone number is 1-800-515-4271. I would check out their website as you can see the lengths available of the sock you are interested in. Good Luck.

Anon_1092 replied to mustang37b's response:
'stang

Please go back and read Laurie Anderson's post. She has explained very clearly what "Diabetes Socks" are.

You should keep wearing shoes which fit well and are comfortable along with clean socks which fit well and are comfortable, unless your health care provider recommends otherwise.

hootyowl2 replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Hi Laurie,

I cannot wear any kind of "diabetic sock" as they have horrid seams that feel like razor blades across my toes, they are too loose and fall down and cause blisters. I have tried several brands courtesy of several friends, and could not tolerate any of them. I gave them away. [ I do thank my kind friends for trying to help out.>

The socks that work best for me are Bobbie Brooks [I think>, and are 100% cotton with pink toe and heels. They are very soft and comfy on my feet. I get them at the local Dollar Store, and they are about $5 for 6 pair. I like the crew socks best as my legs/ankles get cold in cool weather easily.

It seems like anything labeled with "diabetic" or some other special need automatically has the price jacked up very high. It is not necessarily good for that need either.

Before I was diagnosed as diabetic, my PA misdiagnosed the neuropathy in my legs as many other things for 3 years, and had me on support hose for a bit. They hurt like crazy; turned my legs dark purple and other problems. I finally ditched them even though they were $12/pair and my legs are okay. I will not go back to support hose again, but that is me. I would be very cautious about using them if your doctor says to.

Hi Dusty, I hope you find some good socks that work for your feet. Hugs,

Hooty

janairocky replied to mustang37b's response:
Having uncontrolled diabetes for a long time causes problems with your feet and legs. Try to keep your blood sugars normal and you can avoid problems needing special shoes or socks.

wafloga responded:
I use the diabetic socks from Shopnational on the internet. I find the socks very comfortable and not binding.

laugu responded:
I have some edema in my lower legs since I gave birth 14 months ago. Nobody recommended anything really except for compression stockings. But I wanted to heal the swelling, not just treat it, so I went in for laser pain therapy. I've had 3 sessions so far and it appears to be helping the swelling. Unfortunately, it can get expensive and insurance doesn't cover it, but it's worth it to me to get some of the feeling back in my heels and reduce the swelling. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.