Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have Diabetes?
An_247166 posted:
Hi I'm new here, and I really need this question answered. I'm 18, going on 19 in a few weeks. I recently got blood tests done and my Hemoglobin level was 6.1 and they said something about A1C though I'm not sure what that means, and my Glucose level was 128. Supposedly both of those were supposed to be below 5.7 and 117 respectively. I won't hold anything back, I have gained a lot of weight over the years and don't eat healthy, I have a lot of pop and sugar and other unhealthy things I shouldn't. I don't exercise either. Of course, if diabetes can be prevented, I am willing to change all of that, no matter how hard it may be for me. I suffer from some symptoms and things I don't think are normal. I have a dry mouth and drink lots of water and go to the bathroom a lot, even at night. I get a lot of infections, my wounds heal slow and sometimes my eyes are sore, I have blurred vision or there are red veins on my eyes. I have the skin condition acanthosis nigricans-darker skin on my neck and dead/dry itchy-rashlike skin around my crotch/below waiste where my thighs meet my pelvis. I sometimes feel like I have high blood sugar due to an Altered mental status: Agitation, unexplained irritability, inattention, extreme lethargy, or confusion. I know that weight loss is one of the symptoms, but it seems like I have gained weight instead. I know that one blood test alone isn't enough to be conclusive proof I have diabetes, I need more tests. And when I see the doctor next week I'm sure he'll have me take one. But with all of these symptoms, it looks like I may very well have it.

Do I have Diabetes? I sure hope not, but it looks pretty likely that I do. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Take the Poll

Do I have Diabetes?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe/I don't know
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_1092 responded:
Hi,

We are not able to diagnose on a message board as we are not doctors, just people trying to support others.

I strongly suggest you take your test results to your doctor and have a serious discussion about the results and your lifestyle.

Weather you are diabetic now or not, you may be able to save yourself a lot of problems down the road by making lifestyle changes now.

Phototaker123 responded:
The past poster was correct. We are not doctors, but I can tell you some basics, and about myself, and maybe that might help you.

I started out at an A1C of 5.9, and I was told I was a diabetic.
I'm glad I was told that. I did start with diet and exercise alone, and no medicine and did well for about almost 3 1/2 years. I went on two cruises, with a lot of exercise and ate pretty healthy, but I did taste desserts on the cruises, fruits, sugarless ice cream, and tastes of things. I figured I walked so many miles on the tours. I did lose a few lbs. and actually felt really good. After both cruises, I started extreme exercise dancing 5x a week for an hour at a time, did photography walks, swimming, other kinds of dancing, etc. I feel I overdid my exercise, and started getting really hungry and ate "more".
I went up to 6.1 and now am in the middle 6 point range. I struggle eating having 1/2 an apple without my numbers going up. I started a low dose of Metformin medicine too.

My recommendation, from my own experience is this. Buy yourself a testing kit, and test your blood sugar numbers before you eat in the morning, and two hours after your lunch and dinner. Chart your numbers.

See if you can talk to a dietician about healthier food choices.

Start an exercise program, but don't overdo. Even walking for 30 minutes a day is fine to start. Find an exercise you love, hiking, volleyball, biking, running, swimming, dancing, etc.

Cut out "all" candy, pop, cake, cookies, chips, etc.
Eat protein, chicken, fish, a fist sized piece of lean meat, etc.
Make a huge salad, and read carbs and sugars on the dressing bottles. I have a lite Paul Newman's Vinegarette dressing. I'm sure others have ideas. Eat vegetables.
Stay away from white bread, pizza, white rice, white potatoes, etc. Try to be stricter at first,to get off the weight. If you do all these things, you may put your diabetes in remission and not need medicine. Then you probably could have a taste of something once in a while. You can buy whole wheat or whole grain bread, and only have one slice, instead of two. They have whole grain pasta, too, but take "small" portions of that.
It's best that you get this weight off first. That will make a big difference.

Good luck! You're smart to look at this. It may "cure" many of the little problems you're having like bathroom issues, eye problems, confusion, infections, etc. Of course, this has to be done with your doctor's approval. Talk to him/her about the best route to go. Maybe you'd like to try this without taking medicine to see if you can get down your blood sugar numbers. If you're consistently testing in the 200's, that's not good.

Be serious about this. We'll help you get started, if you decide this is something really important for the rest of your life.

smilingis4theweak responded:
Hi -as stated above we can't diagnose anything here, only your doctor(s) can. Best of luck to you though next week.

Even if they determine that you are NOT a diabetic- the human body likes everything in moderation & can only adjust so much before it gives way.

If your doc says you are a diabetic then only YOU can manage YOUR diabetes.... the doctors & foodie folks can prescribe the meds and give you advice based on there knowledge and past experience with other patients & give you eating guides but they won't be there with you at the drive-thru or when you take the elevator instead of the stairs

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.