Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

my a1c is high, help with diet
    allmanrebel posted:
    hello, i,ve been atype 2 diabetic for afew yrs. i had my a1c come back my doctor said it was 6.5,the glucose was 163 . he said i need to get it down. my bad cholesterol is a bit high ,i,m on meds for it. i need some ideas as to what to do about what i can and cant eat. my b-friend eats pretty much what he wants. i,ve tried to explain to him that this has to be a chjange for good. i,ve been exercising and have lost weight. but i need some help on what to do. any ideas? please help! i,m 53, post menopausal, have tried on my own but its hard!

Phototaker123 responded:
    Check my answer to the young man. It may help. You can do this. Ask your doctor to talk to a dietician who will help you get started on what to eat. It's good that you're losing weight. It's hard living with someone who eats all those things around you, but you can do it!

Yes, it's hard but it gets easier. Ask questions to those of us on here. There are a lot of neat people who can help. Read Dr. Dansinger's ideas on the right side of foods to eat. He has many great ideas to doing this without medicine. It "is" a commitment, but it's better than being sick the rest of your life from not eating the right foods.

Keep up the exercise program!

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
    does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.