Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes,Hep C and medications
An_247244 posted:
My friend has diabetes and Hep C. Her enzymes just tested very high the first time in 4 years and she is wondering if Metformin that she takes for diabetes9 very low dose 2.5mg) or Vicodin that she takes for chronic back pain could be causing problems with her liver.

DavidHueben responded:
Your post is confusing. The lowest dose of Metformin is 500mg. Are you sure you know how much Metformin she is taking? Taking 2.5mg of Metformin is tantamount to taking no medication.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
Her medical team should be able to look at her meds and determine if any one of them could be the source of the problem. My guess is that she must be on something for the Hep C, or maybe took something in the recent past.

Lots of things can cause elevated liver enzymes. I agree with David and just verified that the lowest dose of plain metformin is 500 mg.

Bottom line - this is a problem for her doctor to figure out.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

cookiedog replied to mhall6252's response:
I have had HepC since 1981. I have attempted to treat the virus unsuccessfully with interferon treatment. The interferon and ribavarin drugs did not affect my BS at all.

I take diuretics and drugs to treat hepatic encephalopathy for my advanced cirrhosis at this time. Neither affects my BS.

I believe your friend needs to see their hepatologist ASAP to see what is causing her elevated enzymes. I doubt it is related to her diabetes. but could be an increase in her viral activity..

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please let your friend know that we have a very active hepatitis Community here:

WebMD Hepatitis Community

Many are treating for, living with Hep C. Lots of great members, very supportive and informative!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.