Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Actos Goes Generic - will you make the switch?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
From the WebMD Newsroom:

The FDA today approved the first generic version of Actos to treat adults with type 2 diabetes.

One of the medications I must take daily went generic a few years ago - my co-pay dropped from $35.00 to $10.00. I saw no change in the med so I was thrilled.

If you're taking Actos, will you make the switch?

Haylen

DavidHueben responded:
Why would you not?

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

barb10562 responded:
I thought Actos caused bladder cancer. My dr took me off it a year ago. Why would anyone take it? Plus it made me gain 40 pounds!!

mhall6252 replied to barb10562's response:
Yeah, if I were on Actos, I'd make the switch to something else. I even turned down a breast cancer clinical trial because it would require me to take generic actos along with an iv chemo. Somehow, trading breast cancer for potential bladder cancer seemed like a bad idea.

I'll stick to my metformin, thank you very much!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

hootyowl2 responded:
If I was taking Actos, I would definitely switch. It is one of the meds I have severe adverse reactions to though.

I wish my insulin was generic. The cost is outrageous! I wish some of my other meds were also generic, I would switch. At least 4 of my meds are brand names, and it would be a HUGE help if I could get generics instead.

Hooty

laura2gemini2 replied to hootyowl2's response:
Hopefully some laws will go through allowing for generic biologic drugs like insulin. That is the most costly medication for me as well.

I am a big fan of generic drugs. I get a lot of people who keep saying things like all generics are made in China, that they are allergic to *all* generic medications, and that all brands are made in America. Little do they know that brand Actos is made in Japan!

hootyowl2 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I forgot, both of my insulins are brand names, in addition to the other four meds. And I found out the Diovan is nearly $400 a month; each insulin is over $100... plus all of my other meds. Thankfully, my insurance covers most of the cost. I am not supposed to have co-pays, however, I get billed them anyway, and however many times I call about it I get that many different versions of what I am supposed to pay or not pay. I wish I could do without ALL of my meds!

Hooty

laura2gemini2 replied to hootyowl2's response:
Good news! Diovan is slated to go generic next month under the name Valsartan, then a few months after that another drug in the same class called Atacand will go generic under the name Candesartan.

Harrison1301 responded:
My doctor took me off Actos one year ago and kept me on Glucophage. My A1C went from 6.1to 6.7

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.