Actos Goes Generic - will you make the switch?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
From the WebMD Newsroom:

The FDA today approved the first generic version of Actos to treat adults with type 2 diabetes.

One of the medications I must take daily went generic a few years ago - my co-pay dropped from $35.00 to $10.00. I saw no change in the med so I was thrilled.

If you're taking Actos, will you make the switch?

Haylen

DavidHueben responded:
Why would you not?

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

barb10562 responded:
I thought Actos caused bladder cancer. My dr took me off it a year ago. Why would anyone take it? Plus it made me gain 40 pounds!!

mhall6252 replied to barb10562's response:
Yeah, if I were on Actos, I'd make the switch to something else. I even turned down a breast cancer clinical trial because it would require me to take generic actos along with an iv chemo. Somehow, trading breast cancer for potential bladder cancer seemed like a bad idea.

I'll stick to my metformin, thank you very much!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Hootyowl2 responded:
If I was taking Actos, I would definitely switch. It is one of the meds I have severe adverse reactions to though.

I wish my insulin was generic. The cost is outrageous! I wish some of my other meds were also generic, I would switch. At least 4 of my meds are brand names, and it would be a HUGE help if I could get generics instead.

Hooty

laura2gemini2 replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Hopefully some laws will go through allowing for generic biologic drugs like insulin. That is the most costly medication for me as well.

I am a big fan of generic drugs. I get a lot of people who keep saying things like all generics are made in China, that they are allergic to *all* generic medications, and that all brands are made in America. Little do they know that brand Actos is made in Japan!

Hootyowl2 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I forgot, both of my insulins are brand names, in addition to the other four meds. And I found out the Diovan is nearly $400 a month; each insulin is over $100... plus all of my other meds. Thankfully, my insurance covers most of the cost. I am not supposed to have co-pays, however, I get billed them anyway, and however many times I call about it I get that many different versions of what I am supposed to pay or not pay. I wish I could do without ALL of my meds!

Hooty

laura2gemini2 replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Good news! Diovan is slated to go generic next month under the name Valsartan, then a few months after that another drug in the same class called Atacand will go generic under the name Candesartan.

Harrison1301 responded:
My doctor took me off Actos one year ago and kept me on Glucophage. My A1C went from 6.1to 6.7