Scared that I could be diabetic!! PLEASE HELP!
winnie_the_pooh17 posted:
I am 23 years old, underweight (BMI at 15). [br>[br>Recently I have been experiencing diabetic symptoms like frequent urination, especially after eating sugary drinks or high carb meals.

[br>So I went to the doctor and he took a blood test. He took the FPG (Fasting Plasma Glucose) and it was 83mg/dL and also the HbA1c test which was 5.0%.

My hemoglobin levels were quite low at 11.9g/dL so I don't know if my a1c is accurate. Plus, I wasn't eating well the days leading up to the test(4-5 days of decreased appetite, probably due to worry).

But the night before the blood test, I did eat a carbohydrate rich meal , around 50-60grams of high-glycemic carbs.

My blood pressure is low normal at 100/60 and my cholesterol levels were in their ideal range. [br>[br>SHOULD I STILL BE WORRIED??????? Could I be diabetic??

PS: I have chronic sleep issues(for the past 6-7 yrs) and I also have generalized anxiety disorder.

I feel like my whole life is ruined right now

Phototaker123 responded:
You're just fine. What did the doctor tell you?

Your numbers do not indicate you have diabetes. Your A1C test was great. That test is for 3 months of blood sugars, so one week wouldn't make a different. You are doing well.

Not eating well is not good as you know. Why don't you try eating little meals during the day?

The sleep issues probably are your problem. Have they diagnosed sleep apnea? If so, a machine will help you sleep better at night.

The anxiety can be helped either with medication or therapy.
Therapy works great! You just turn your thoughts around.

Good luck!

mhall6252 responded:
Winnie - I agree that you do not seem to be diabetic. And with a BMI of 15, I am worried that you are not getting proper nutrition. Please talk to your doctor about your anxiety and sleep issues. And as Photo suggested, try eating small frequent meals.

Have you ever been to a sleep disorder clinic? It might be a good idea to find the source of your sleeping issues, whatever it might be.

Good luck!

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

winnie_the_pooh17 replied to Phototaker123's response:
Hi Phototaker, thanks for the advice

I am now taking valerian and following good sleep practices which are helping me to some extent.

But I am really worried about the frequent urination part. The other time I drank Sprite(I rarely drink sugary drinks), and I had to urinate 4 times in 2 hours. And each time I urinated, my bladder was full.

I also tend to urinate an hour after eating high glycemic carb meals.

I have no family history of diabetes; both my parents are slightly overweight but don't have diabetes.

If I do have diabetes, I think it is caused by my poor sleep. I feel so frustrated with myself for wrecking my body and I am terrified of what the future holds for me

Debsbears replied to winnie_the_pooh17's response:
Hi Winnie, not all urination problems are related to diabetes. Have you been to a Urologist. They can do tests to see if your bladder is working correctly.

There are so many different reason for one to urinate that much in 2 hours. That is why you should look in a different direction. Your numbers do not indicate diabetes, but the urination in itself could mean something else.

I have both stress and urge incontinence also well as an autonomic dysfunction that effects my bladder making me want to go all the time even though I just went. I have to take medications to stop the urges and see my urologist 2 times a year more if I get UTI's.

Please do not panic make an appt. with a Urologist to see what else could be going on and if you could please keep us posted.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com