Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
lowering very high bs
dustnbones99 posted:
I had a scary experience last night and my bs has been very high ever since. I fell asleep reading and was startled awake by a man pounding on my door. I could here him yelling that he wanted his wife. I called the police but before they could come he actually broke my door and entered my house. I really though i was about to die. This man was crazed and very scary. I somehow managed to throw him back out the door and throw my weight against it to keep him out. He fought to get back in for a while but the police finally came and took him away. I wasn't really able to calm myself after this happened and when ever i test my meter reads High. I think that with my meter this means over 600. I've taken my normal insulin, 50 units of Humulin 70/30, but it hasn't helped to lower my blood sugar. I have a vial of Novolog and i'm thinking about taking 50 units of it as well. I haven't been able to eat today. I don't have the money for the dr.s copay so a visit to him is not possible right now.

Should i just keep drinking water and wait it out or try the Novolog or more Humalin. Does anyone have any other tips for lowering bs or calming myself down. I have an anxiety disorder but have never been able to take any drugs for it since i can't tolerate the side effects. Right now between the symptoms of very high blood sugar, and just plain old terror, i really wish i didn't throw them away.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
OH DUSTY!

That number is not good, as you know and you need some help and answers sooner rather than later.

Can you have a friend drive you to the hospital? At the very least, please call your doctor's office immediately. With numbers like that, I have to think they are not going to demand a copay.

Please pick up the phone then let us know!

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
AFTER you get your BS under control, if you need someone to to talk with to help you through this, here is a link to crisis resources: http://www.webmd.com/help/crisis-resources

You could post in our Anxiety community too. The expert, Dr. Farrell, can't address diabetes issues but is really great and can help you process this event and the anxiety you are understandably feeling:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/anxiety-and-panic-disorders-exchange

I'm going to keep checking this discussion - please keep me updated Dusty!

H

mhall6252 responded:
Dusty - are things improving? Did your blood sugar come down? Just checking on you.

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

dustnbones99 replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle, thak you for checking on me. I really appreciate your kindness. My bd has come down a little and is now in the 200-300 range.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.