Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What's good eat healthy and simple I have to take my metformin soon
mustang37b posted:
Hello group, how are you all doing? With your diabetes newcomer it's very important to check your sugar, I use ultra Mini meter it's pretty accurate. Soon I'll be eating dinner and take my metformin any ideas what I have good eat and healthy any suggestion, I have eggs chicken.

I notice that been taken metformin for all about a week, and my stool sometime watery but other times it's normal, is that one part of the side effects just wondering

DavidHueben responded:
Chicken and egg omelet.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

KAS4162 responded:
It is pretty common for metformin to cause watery stools...almost to the point of diarrhea. Metformin also is hard on your kidneys.

dianer01 replied to KAS4162's response:
Hi KAS4162:

Could you please reference your information about Metformin being hard on your kidneys?

I have been on it for about 5 years and was of the understanding Metformin is generally considered a safe, long term treatment for type 2 diabetes along with some other conditions.

Thank you.
accelerate out of the corners

mustang37b replied to KAS4162's response:
Thank you for explaining metformin, I knew about this drug is bad for my kidneys, everyone on the board told me it's safe to take, now I'll stop it on my own. I'll stop in tomorrow because I took the dose already, why people can't tell me the truth about the drug in the first place and tell me the site side effects. Thanks a lot. What gets me mad David and all the people told me don't worry about it just take it. For now on I'll just listen to my own instinct because I don't want my kidneys to get destroyed from the drug

mrscora01 replied to mustang37b's response:
Metformin is not bad for your kidneys unless they are already damaged from something else. It will not cause harm to your kidneys.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Anon_999 replied to mustang37b's response:
Den we have all told you the truth. It is the safest drug out there for diabetes. You listen to one person - and then say we aren't telling the truth - how do you know the one person is telling you the truth? I am done here with you.........

DavidHueben replied to mustang37b's response:
Mustang/Denial:

You were told the truth. Stopping your Metformin without a doctor's approval is a very poor decision.

No need to get mad.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
Den - I've been taking way more metformin than you are taking. I've been on it for 11 years. My kidney function is perfect because metformin has helped me control my blood sugar. High blood sugar is bad for your kidneys and can cause kkidney failure. Metformin will help keep your kidneys healthy because it will keep your blood sugars lower.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.