Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Monday Muster Check In! 9/10/12
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Good morning!

How was your weekend and what is up for this week?

Weekend:
  • Went to a 50th birthday party - it seems strange to me to see that age coming for all my friends. I still feel like we are all in our 20s!
  • Book club - I didn't read the book. No time for myself these days. But got some good gossip
This week:

• Appointment with shoulder doc - have a partial tear in my rotator cuff, bursitis and calcification. In severe pain for the last few weeks and medication not helping. Hoping to avoid surgery!
  • 1st swim team practice with the 7 year old. Will meet all the parents and get the scoop on what to expect.
  • Grocery planning - need to get organized for lunches and dinners this week to avoid the unhealthy week we just had. Veggies and fruit for everyone!

Who is next?

Debsbears responded:
Haylen is that the part of your body you hurt on the water slide? Or is this something new? At any rate I'm sorry to hear all that is wrong with your shoulder. When I tore my rotator cuff partially they did laparoscopy the healing time was short. That was in 2008 I am doing fine now with it. I hope you don't have to have surgery.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mhall6252 responded:
Ouch, Haylen! I hope your shoulder problem is nothing serious.

I remember the days when parental involvement in after-school activities including sports was pretty minimal, other than coming to watch. My daughter was telling me about the meeting she had to attend for my grandson to become a Cub Scout. My, how things have changed!

DH is going to be on a business trip, then a golfing trip, and will be away until next Monday. And I have no doctor appts this week, yippee! I will be able to do what I want, sleep when I want, and eat what I want...and have total control of the remote for a whole week! Then I'll be very glad when he comes home!

On Friday night I am going with my adult kids to see the Charlie Daniels Band. That should be a very fun concert.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears responded:
I had an extremely busy week-end. Every time I tell my friends I am having surgery they all want their hair done, like now.

So I did 2 perms, 3 hair cuts and color and set.

I have an emergency dental appt. today for a tooth that just won't stop hurting even with oral gel on it 24/7, it needs to be looked at. I pray it is nothing serious I do not have time for that.

Cleaning my house and packing to get ahead start before my surgery.

Surgery is Thursday for my neck again, to remove hardware and laminectomy on T2 spinous process possible T3 as well.

Got a call from hematologist - d-dimer still elevated but no signs of inflammation so I might have to be put on Warfarin again for the clotting disorder. My Ferritin levels are acceptable for now will need IV Iron after my surgery.

Never a dull moment at my house. Blood sugars still in the normal range for me 80-110 daily.

Debsbears replied to Debsbears's response:
Just back from the dentist - 7 shots of numbing meds and they could finaly work on it. Turns out the filling was loose for awhile and begun to go back inside. Nerves were dead so the only thing he could do was pull it. Little infection started by it was attached to the root. So I am still good for surgery this week.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb - knee was the water slide (better now!) Shoulder pain is an old friend that started in college. I'm glad to hear about the recovery time with a laparoscopy! Your shoulder must be doing well for you to do all of that hair. My hairdresser has killer arms

I'm guessing some sort of surgery procedure is in my future....stay tuned!

I'm glad your tooth was resolvable - you sure don't have time for that! I will be sending positive thoughts your way on Thursday. Will you be in the hospital long? What is your recovery time going to be?

Michelle - Things have changed! Not sure if it's because parents these days are more "helicoptery" or that the activities demand more involvement or what. 7 year old joined a brownie troop. I thought, great! I'll drop her off every other Friday - easy peasy. OH NO. Fifteen - yes - fifteen emails before the first meeting. I wonder if WebMD will let me sell Girl Scout cookies to you guys - haha.

Michelle - I LOVE Charlie Daniels - I can sing every single word of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"!!! Give a "woo hoo" for me during that fiddle solo!

Haylen

Debsbears replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen - I am sorry to hear about your shoulder - mine was caused from years of painting and wallpapering commercial building - I also painted new homes in the past. None of which I can do now due to my neck and no movement.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers about your shoulder, do keep us posted.

As for my surgery I was told 4 to 5 days in hospital longer if more work is needed to be done. No clue about recovery - they said it will be just as painful as the first surgery, I hope not I was in the rehab center for 6-1/2 weeks. I don't have the time or energy for that I might be moving in late Oct. early Nov. With help from friends and a moving company this time. I will take my laptop with me to at least drop in a line or two with my progress.

As for GS cookies my favorite used to be the Coconut Delights if that is the name of them - I haven't had them in years - they had the coconut on top of the cookie dipped then drizzled with chocolate. Oh so good to taste anyway - health wise I don't thet are good for us.

betatoo responded:
Isn't getting older wonderful! Next week I have to see the neurosurgeon about the herniated disc in the neck, so I am getting together the MRI's and personal information for him. Therapy took care of most of the problem with the pain and discomfort-I can do everything I used to do, but still have tingling in the left pointer and thumb. I will not opt for any surgery for such a minor discomfort.

Built rack for kayaks last week, have clay to move into shop area, and orders to fill with pottery, so I will have to get to work.

I find that there is very little to comment on here of late as there is a continuous broken record element. Hope things improve, but doubt it. Just a personal opinion.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
To betatoo, I certainly agree on this age thing. (: All this exercise (age appropriate - I thought) that I have been having fun doing, evidently can be detrimental to an older woman's core, especially the crunches. Here I was trying to be healthy and it turned around and bit me. Right now I am also doing everything possible to avoid surgery, especially knowing that any hospital stay will probably result in sugar highs from glucose drips and maybe low from the resulting insulin shots,, when I still am keeping my sugars normal with eating the right things. Now I am doing mostly walking, but I sure miss the fun and companionship at the gym. I am also looking forward to kayaking in March on Sanibel Island.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
So jealous, Flute! Sanibel Island. So beautiful and peaceful. Was there only a short time at the beach. We went at the wrong time because the tide started to come in. LOL. Oh, well.

I have this part-time job, just three hours a day, five days a week. Server at a senior luncheon along with all the cleaning up afterward. Much, too much work. Moving constantly for those three hours. I have to eat carb-loaded foods just to stay even with my BS. Still came home with a 52 yesterday. Argh. My boss thinks I'm a teenager able to handle these trays laden with lunches. I'm carrying around 20 lb. trays with food on them. Have muscles that are talking back to me.

Each day is different, so I'm at a loss as to what to do with this insulin and carbs. The constant moving, lifting and bending does my BS good for the most part. Haven't had to take any insulin at work, a good thing, I guess. Took just a half of a dose of insulin after eating a whole meal just once. I didn't want my BS to climb, so I took it. Half dose and still went low. So no more insulin when I eat at work.

Anyone who wants to maintain those normal BS's, keep moving - constantly. LOL.

Hope March brings you some good weather for kayaking.

Nothing on the agenda, but work and some shopping. Wedding this coming weekend.

NWSmom4g replied to auriga1's response:
We first went to Sanibel about 50 yrs ago, before the causeway was built. The ferry ride was part of the Sanibel experience. I have a great photo of my oldest daughter showing me a tiny shell she had found. We went back years later, and it was so built up! But the shelling was still good.

auriga1 replied to NWSmom4g's response:
LOL, NWS. That's what I came home with myself, shells, shells and more shells. The tide comes in and leaves them behind. Took about 10 minutes to find a spot on the beach where we wouldn't be sitting on shells.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.