Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
healthy but high glucose levels
Gorzo posted:
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice. I'm a 42-year-old healthy female- low cholesterol (132), good BMI (20), low blood pressure (115/68), who exercises regularly (6 days a week). I began in earnest a low gylcemic diet in May starting with a sugar cleanse (I was a cracker/ potato chip-oholic). I now eat lots of fruit, veggies, lean meats and healthy carbs, and feel great. My problem is that when it went for my annual exam, including fasting blood work, my glucose levels came back at 101. My doctor said not to worry that my body was probably in shock that it hadn't been fed and released stored sugar and told me to come back in in a couple of months for a recheck. I went in last week and my glucose came back at 100. My doctor told me to go to a diabetes website and look for ways to change my eating and exercise habits. I have never had abnormal glucose readings before and am stumped why it's high now considering my diet and exercise routine. Could my body still be in shock after an 8-hour fast? Anybody else heard of something like this?????

flutetooter responded:
Lots of fruit, veggies, and healthy carbs are all still carbs. Maybe your body needs a greater percentage of good fats like avocado, nuts, salmon, flax seed. Diabetics aften have to cut back on the amount of carbs in their diets. That means their calorie needs have to be filled with more protein and more good fats. My diet percentage of total calories, is 40 % carbs, 30 % protein, and 30 % fats. Note that the percentages are of total calories, not total amount on the plate. Fats have a lot of calories so it doesn't take much to equal that 30%.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Gorzo replied to flutetooter's response:
That's helpful. Thanks.

mhall6252 responded:
Did your doctor order a HbA1c test? It shows your average glucose over the past 3 or 4 months and is more telling than a fasting of 100 or 101.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

An_247952 responded:
Let me confirm when you say "glucose levels" your talking about the test that diabetics use daily? If its the same test then you can convert the figure to its HbA1c or A1c equivalent with Joslin's or Ellis Toussier's equation which would put your A1c at about 5 or 5.1. My doctor would be happy if I had an A1c of 5 or under.

huntbrit50 responded:
I am not understanding why you think 100 or 101 is too high. When my gets to 80 I have to start eating some form of glucose or I will be in trouble. 140 if high. I am living in a different world? 100 is considered normal.

auriga1 replied to huntbrit50's response:
Hunt, no, you are not living in a different world. The poster is NOT diagnosed with diabetes. But, she may be headed towards being pre-diabetic with those numbers posted.

A non-diabetic's numbers AVERAGE around 85. Her doctor is concerned. My doctor was concerned when my numbers started creeping over 100 and told me to start watching my diet. This was when I was in my late 30's.

85 being the average for a non-diabetic, 100 and 101 are higher than normal for a non-diabetic.

Casper777 replied to huntbrit50's response:
I would agree huntbrit50. As An_247952 said the HbA1c or A1c test is a better indicator as it is a measure of your glucose levels over a period of several months. If the result is less than 5.7% then you are at a decreased risk of diabetes. As one ages, if you can keep off the additional pounds, that will decrease the rist of diabetes greatly.

brunosbud responded:
Do you exercise before you test in the morning?
I eat nothing after 7pm but I work out for about 40 minutes, early, before testing and breakfast. I often get readings between 95-105, yet, my A1C is holding steady at 5.1 - 5.5.

The reason? The liver releases glucose (glycogen) to help fuel the system during high levels of activity such as exercise and this may account for short term rises in blood glucose level. With your fitness level and improved diet, my guess is your doctor will not even mention it as being "high", imo...

btw, what I don't care about A1C is the test assumes an RBC lifespan to be 90 days. I mentioned, prior, that anemics have low RBC lifespans, far less than 90 days, thus their sugar content can't reach high levels before the cell dies off and is removed from the system.

The problem is just the opposite for "athletes" and fit people since their RBC's can live far longer than 90 days...

That's why I prefer to rely more on my glucometer and test strips.

Gorzo replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks to everyone who posted. I did take an A1C test and it came back in the normal range--5.4.

Brunosbud...thanks for your comments. I do exercise early in the morning. My doctor too thinks that my fasting glucose readings are a result of my pancreas releasing glucogon. I feel much better. Again, thanks to everyone.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.