Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Walked and exercise
mustang37b posted:
Hello group, how is everyone doing today? I want to know? I will stop metformin tomorrow, because one lady told me. It's bad for kidneys. I notice a lot of water and my urine is clear yellow. I wonder if it's from the metformin just wondering. I exercise and walked for 35 min. listening to music. You all have a great evening.

mrscora01 responded:
Don't stop taking a prescribed medication because a stranger on the internet told you something. Metformin does not cause kidney damage. It is not good for your kidneys if you already have kidney damage, but it does not cause it. High blood sugar because you are not taking your metformin, could damage your kidneys though.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Debsbears responded:
You can not stop your meds without your Drs. permission. Listen you just started it and you only take 500mg. I was on 2,000mg everyday for 2 years and my kidneys are fine. Your Drs will keep track of your kidneys.

Just because the lady told you it is bad for your kidneys does not make it right to stop taking it.

With the extra water you are drinking it will make your urine clear yellow that is a good thing. It is not good to have dark urine.. Quit worrying and talk to your Dr. You need the Metformin period or you will have more problems.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mhall6252 responded:
Don't stop taking the metformin that your doctor prescribed. High blood sugar will wreck your kidneys. Metformin will help control your blood sugar which will protect your kidneys.

Continue to eat properly, get some exercise, and take your metformin. That is what your doctor wants you to do.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.