Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Re-Controlling Blood Sugar
spderbes1 posted:
Hello-

After discovering I had Type 2 about a year ago, I went on Metformin and Januvia, and for awhile followed a healthy (er) diet. Over the months, I drifted off the wagon somewhat, being less vigilant about both diet and daily meds. I'm starting over again, and have an appointment to see my endro in about a month. Since my blood sugar is up over 200 agian, I'm wondering if I can get it down to mormal again simply by resuming the diet, and taking my pills everyday, or do I need something stronger (insulin?) to get it back down that far, and then maintain with the diet and pills? Not trying to get anything over on my Dr. (the A1C test will tell the tale anyway), just trying to get a head start. Thanks in advance.

flutetooter responded:
Every time you eat more carbs than your pancreas can create insulin for, your blood sugar goes up and more insulin producing cells in your pancreas die because your Janumet keeps causing your beta cells to produce more and more insulin until they burn out. At that point you will need insulin because your pancreas just can't produce enough to cover the carbs you keep eating. If you still don't watch your carbs at that point you will need more and more insulin intil your kideys fail and then you will need dialysis. In other words, watch your diet and be very strict now.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.