Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm back home
Debsbears posted:
Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. I can not comment on the surgery as I do not know what all they did. They did not call my friend that she knew of - no message or caller ID to say they called.

While in the hospital I asked everyone who can in to see me they was done and all I was told is I need to ask my Dr when I see him because they weren't there. My appt. for staple removal is Sept. 25th.

I do know they removed the hardware because I rec'd it all in a jar so I can make my shadow box with all of it from past surgeries.

I am in a lot of pain and can't sit for long - I am suppose to have nurses care but still haven't heard when they are coming. I'll write in as I can, thanks again, Deb

PS I so do not like hospitals - The whole time I was there I was sick to my stomach mainly because of all the sugar they say one needs to heal. I got them done from 75 carbs a meal to 45, and even with that it was too much for me - I eat maybe 20-25 carbs a meal.

I thought protein is what we need to heal not sugar - am I wrong on this?

At any point I am home and can eat the way I also did to keep my sugars under control. Since I do not take insulin or diabetics they didn't give me anything either even though I was in the 170 range much of the time - I said to them it doesn't make sense to test if you don't do anything about it - their response was "your diabetic so we have to test, we don't have to treat it if you don't".
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

dustnbones99 responded:
I hope you heal quickly. The last time i had surgery, to repair broken bones, i was told that blood sugar above 180 would prevent healing and probably lead to infection. Although i was only on orals at the time i was given insulin if my bs went above 170.

betatoo responded:
I really don't think the medical community is as up on diabetes as one might think they should be. After all how long did it take the ADA to recognize the low carb diet as a treatment plan for diabetes. How many times have you heard glycemic index included in discussions of your meal planning at the hospital. No sugar is not required as a component for healing-high sugars create an environment for infection! In the end, one wonders if marking that box-diabetes-is really the best thing to do.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome home Deb!

If you make a shadow box, you must post photo! That is really turning "lemons into lemonaid" ya, know?

I'm sorry you had a bad hospital experience. I think betatoo hit the nail on the head.

Healing, pain-free thoughts coming your way!

Haylen

Debsbears responded:
Thanks for the replies - I knew I wasn't crazy about the sugars. I know that less is better but they think the opposite. I wish I could get it changed. 75 carbs per meal if you are on their carb consistent diet. What a joke.

My nurse finally came and I got to look at the incision - eee gads - it's 10"s long. That means they did do repair or removal of the T2-T3 area. I will continue to eat for my diet plan and heal well over time. Thanks again.

mhall6252 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb - that is a joke and just wrong! You'd think hospitals would get this right. It's so frustrating that those in charge of our care don't know squat about managing diabetes!

Glad to hear you are home and on the mend. Ask the hospital medical records department for your surgical report. That will make for some interesting reading and will let you know exactly what was done to you.

I can't wait to see your diorama! I had an idea when I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer to save all my hospital ID bands...I should have done it - I probably would have 50 by now! Every time I go to Dana Farber they tag me...lol! I wonder if those things are biodegradable - I'll bet someone will find these things in landfills a hundred years from now!!!

I hope you are getting pain relief and managing to stay comfortable. Thinking about you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Many hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears replied to mhall6252's response:
My sugars are now in my control - they are at least back to my normal. Some lows but never above 110. I have small bags of chips and jello on hand for the lows works quite nicely for me because I have to eat with my pain meds.

I was told that the arm tags now are earth friendly - I shred mine when I get home because they contain way too much info to get in the wrong hands. Like: Name, DOB, medical record #, Drs name and this time I saw my Phone #. None of it is encrypted either - as plain as day.

I am recovering the best I can - pain meds every 4 hrs if I last that long. My nurse will come everyday at about 10 to change the dressings. The PA who released me said I could do this myself. I'd like to see him try. It's on my neck and 1/2 down my back, I'd have to use a mirror in one hand and try to put the bandages on with the other. Oh here's another good one - I can take a shower daily but don't get the incision wet cover it with Tegaderm (that clear plastic) first then change dressing when done. They know I live alone.

As for the shadow box you'll all have to wait because I am in the need of packing to move the first part of Nov. No I will not be doing that either. I did a lot before surgery the rest will be done by the movers or my friends not sure yet. But as soon as I have the box done I will post it. Deb

mustang37b responded:
Welcome back Deb from you surgery, now it's time to heal the wounds from the surgery, yes hospitals and nurses is not diabetic friendly I notice specially the food in a hospital. I always wonder about that. I remember one place I went to in the hospital to visit a friend and they had a McDonald's in a hospital nothing common, it's kind of funny but they push us to eat healthy lol but it's not true hospitals of the worst places to stay healthy. But anyway I'm glad you're back.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.