Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Employment Medical Exam
ajp828 posted:
I have a medical exam coming up for a job. I am currently taking Insulin for my diabetes and simvastatin for my cholesterol. My health is well controlled, but I am afraid that I may be disqualified due to this. The exam consists of a blood test (cbc). Now if I say that I am not taking any medication, would my medications or sickness show up in the blood (cbc) and urine test? Please help I would greatly appreciate it!

Debsbears responded:
First off and this is my opinion - To me lying to anyone is wrong and two I certainly would not do it if I were trying for a new job, the new employer might look at it differently - If one lies about their meds what else are they lying about - I just won't do it.

If they were doing a drug test I believe the medications might show up then I would explain to them that I need these medications to stay in control.

Because of my health I routinely have to have CBC's done, it doesn't say that I am on meds it shows them the numbers and they have commented on how well my numbers are and have asked what I do to keep my numbers in control and I tell them.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

betatoo replied to Debsbears's response:
Right on Deb. One lie, begets another, best not to have to remember what you lied about, and no one can come back on you. If you're a contributor, they'll hire you. If you are well controlled, this will come out in interview questions. Best to not cheat or lie, in the end you only hurt yourself.

dianer01 responded:
I also agree about telling the truth about your medical conditions. Depending upon the job they may not be an issue. Well controlled is also a point in your favor.

What would not be in your favor is if your potential employer found out you had lied about your health. If you did get the job based upon a lie, you could just as easily lose it.

I hope you get the job offer soon!
accelerate out of the corners

mhall6252 responded:
I would be honest. Unless you are applying for a job where diabetes could prohibit you from performing the basic duties of the job, it will not be a problem. And in the event they are testing your blood for illegal substances, you want to be honest about your meds.

If they disqualify you because of diabetes and rather "routine" meds, you don't want to work there anyways.

Good luck - I hope it works out for the best!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

auriga1 responded:
Everyone is correct. You shouldn't omit anything. This could be even dangerous for you as an insulin user. God forbid you should go low and no one would know what to do if you couldn't. Not a good idea keeping any of this a secret.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1 - great point! I concur with everyone that "honesty is the best policy".

ajp828 - I'm sending positive vibes your way - good luck with the entire interview process!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.