Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cutting corners on meds - have you done it?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
From a new WebMD article: Americans are scrimping to pay for their prescription medications, and some are playing dangerous games with their health as a result.

More People Cutting Corners to Pay for Medications

Have you ever done anything to cut corners on the cost of your medication?

Haylen

auriga1 responded:
Well, tried to. It didn't work. Definitely tried to extend use of insulin. When they say it lasts 28-30 days, it only lasts that amount of time. My BS soared using my insulin at 29 days. Not good. 435 post-prandial reading with a meal consisting of only 21 carbs.

I asked my doctor if I had to take "these" meds. Was able to cut out quite a few. Afraid of bone-building meds. Disastrous stories out there. Asked if I could stop that. He said yes. Will require a bone scan soon to see if anything has gotten worse. Osteopenia, precursor to osteoporosis.

People should think long and hard. If there is no choice whatsoever, what does one do? If I didn't have insurance, I'd be scrambling pretty hard. The co-pays are enough to bankrupt many people, too.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to auriga1's response:
Yikes! Your experience with insulin might help others avoid what you went through. Thanks for sharing!

I agree that a long, hard "think" is required about affordable health care. The co-pays I've had so far in 2012 were NOT in the household budget! Husband had scary sudden onset vertigo that led to multiple medical appointments, tests and prescriptions, we were in the ER/Urgent Care with my daughters four times and I've had many doctor visits along with x-rays/MRI/meds for my shoulder. WHEW. I'm exhausted just typing that.

Auriga, I'm glad you were able to discontinue some medication and I do hope your bone scan goes well.

Haylen

p.s. We have an Osteoporosis Community with an expert if you want to take a look and start a discussion or ask questions there.

dianer01 responded:
I haven't done it with meds but I was uninsured for close to a year and while I saw it coming I stocked up on test strips. I ran out and did not test for about 3 months. Found my A1C jumped about half a point. I couldn't imagine what could have happened if I had stopped or lowered the med dosage.

di

ps: I am fully insured again.
accelerate out of the corners

davedsel57 responded:
I think one thing we can all do is make sure to try the generic form of any prescription if it is available. Many pharmacies such as Walgreens and WalMart have programs where generic drugs are very inexpensive.

I was on Victoza for about 6 months. The problem was that even though we have prescription drug coverage our co-pay for this med was quite high. I've gone to all generic drugs and that is much easier on the budget.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Hootyowl2 responded:
When you have no way to pay for your meds, it leaves you in a terrible situation.

Oh yeah, drug companies have programs to help you with meds, but sometimes they still expect a person to pay part of the cost, and they do not even have enough means to do that. I know when I was waiting for my disability to be approved, I had $100 a month to live on. There was no way I could pay even the smallest copay for meds. Sometimes I was able to find help with my meds, and sometimes not. The drug companies live high in their Ivory Towers and are totally clueless on the hardships they create for people. Looking for help to buy meds, pay utilities, groceries, house payments etc is very degrading. I would gladly work, but my health interferes with that, despite my best efforts. At least now I have insurance, even though I still have to fight them on some things.

I have had to cut corners with insulin and syringes in the past too. Even so, last month I was without my seizure meds for over 2 weeks because of it. Disability is less than half of minimum wage; and they keep giving away our SS monies to illegal immigrants and other non Americans... GRRRRRRR..

Hooty

auriga1 replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave, agreed that generic is the way to go most times. If the doctor o.k.'s it, that's the way to go.

The insurance companies and pharma do have contracts regarding what we pay for copays. I don't know how they all run, but mine is done in "tiers" with meds. I was prescribed a medication in generic form by my doctor. Received a letter from the insurance company that my medication is in the "tier" where my copay is much higher and I would be paying more for the generic than the brand name. Go figure. Contractual obligation.

People should keep their eyes and ears open at all times. If you have insurance, check with them regarding generics and brand names. It's not all black and white regarding insurance and copays. Be assertive when you need to be.

If no insurance needs to involved, by all means, generic is the way to go.

hwdeac responded:
Yes. No other choice. After mortgage, utilities, food, and gas there was nothing left. Got samples from Dr. until it was uncomfortable to ask for more. Many of the meds are priced beyond the reach of working people.

laura2gemini2 responded:
I have reused supplies like syringes, needles, and lancets because I couldnt afford them in college. I would reuse them 10 times before getting a new one. I also only checked my sugar maybe once a day.

Luckily I have good insurance now and am able to change out supplies when I need to.

NWSmom4g responded:
I hate to admit it, but yes, I have cut down on dosages occasionally...usually when I've waited too long to order a refill. (Instead of four, I'll take 3; most can't be halved so that means those I may just run out of.) There's another one I take...Evista...which is very expensive and not on the Medicare formulary...usually I rely on samples, but sometimes the office doesn't have any. It's not one of my "crucial" meds, so I don't get upset if I miss a few days
Samples have been a lifesaver for me.

Nancy

DaveP responded:
I suppose I'm the lucky one, being in the UK.

However, after becoming T2 in 2007 at the age of 65, I eventually decided to cure/reverse my diabetes after reading the results of a recent study (the Newcastle diet) carried out my a University medical dept., and then doing a LOT more research into the subject. There's plenty more data available.

I haven't taken and don't need ANY medication since Nov 2011.

My BG, A1c, Cholesterol BP and all other relevant readings are now 100% normal.

Nearly all T2s can achieve the same with a LOT of effort, unfortunately, apathy or the blind belief in doctors prevents them.

In the US, the doctors are driven by money; in the UK, regardless of whether they know it can be reversed or not, doctors have to religiously abide by NHS guidelines.

It's much easier to push pills than motivate patients to take control of their lives, and then they've covered themelve against any come-backs.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.