Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Large Ketones but sugar isn't always over 300- should I be worried still?
Anon_137315 posted:
Hi,

I am a type 1 diabetic. The last couple of days I have had moderate to large ketones, despite drinking a ton of water. My blood sugars have been out of control for a little while but during this space of time with the large ketones, they have been anywhere from over 600 to as "low" as 230. My question is this, is the large ketones still as dangerous if my sugars are not over 300 on a consistent basis or is it just as dangerous? Thanks so much in advance!!

Sincerely,
Not sure if I should be worried

mrscora01 responded:
Yes, it's just as dangerous. You are in the early stages of dka and with this comes other things like electrolyte imbalance. If you cannot get your sugars under control you need to see the doc or go to the emergency room. This situation is dangerous.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.