Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
diab
An_248181 posted:
j was just told i am diabetic what can i expect on my nexy apointment

nutrijoy responded:
Your healthcare professionals will provide you with guidance and, as required, medication. However, successful management of diabetes is essentially one of SELF-management since you have to deal with the condition 24/7 whereas even the finest healthcare team will only see you for a few hours, if that, every few months.

Essential components in self-management include lifestyle modifications, especially in diet and exercise. The next really big thing is self-education. You need to learn as much about the disease as well as how if affects you individually since no two of us are exactly alike. A good place to start is to read up on the basics and Dr. Michael Dassinger's posts in the upper right of this page (4 Tips & 4 Resources) is a good place to start. Then go to Dr. Bernstein's site and read his chapter on "The Basics ." Consider purchasing a few books on the topic (including the 2011 edition of Bernstein's book) but avoid those that have "miracle" or "reversal" in their titles. Make use of your favorite search engine and go to sites such as David Mendosa's and Blood Sugar 101 and most importantly, learn to "listen" to your own body. Incidentally, making repeated posts usually doesn't hasten a response. Learn to be patient.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.