Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Diabetes Quiz: What's Your Score?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Click the link below and get your score:

Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Type 2 IQ

As many of you know, I'm not diabetic. As a moderator I bring diabetes related content to this community and work with the experts. I've learned so much working with the smart, supportive members here that I thought I'd ace this quiz!

However......Your Score: 63%, correctly answering 10 of 16 questions. Not bad, but you could know more. Read up on type 2 and test your knowledge again.

Not good! OK, who is next? I'm interested in any feedback you have about the quiz content.

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrscora01 responded:
I got 81%, but I don't agree that a bp of 130 over 80 is acceptable. They are starting to suggest that less than 120 over 75 is ideal even for non-diabetics. And diabetics who are prone to cardiac issues should be even a bit lower.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mrscora01 replied to mrscora01's response:
I also don't agree with the diet question. There is no doubt that lower carb is good for T2.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Debsbears responded:
The first time I took it I only got 50%. Mainly because I do not agree with some of the answers such as the ones miss Cora mentioned.

I re - took the test and I rec'd 94%
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
I thought the same about the diet question as well - and my perceptions are shaped by what works and what doesn't for those posting here.

I'll pass along your comments. As always, thanks to both of you for your contributions to this community! Good to see you back on the keyboard Deb and I hope your recovery continues -

Haylen

auriga1 responded:
Hi, Haylen. Missed two. 88%.

Do NOT understand the "diet" answer. Well, I understand it completely, but completely disagree. Why do the dieticians limit carbs for diabetics? Is it not the thing to do? Even my CDE who is a diabetic said diabetics need to follow a low-carb diet.

All I know is that if I didn't follow a low-carb diet, I would be taking oodles and oodles of insulin.

Agree with Cora regarding the blood pressure number.

AND, did not know about the hair on the legs thing. LOL.

Is this an "old" quiz???

NWSmom4g responded:
I scored 63% also. Mostly because I disagreed with the available answers. BP levels are too high, where to stick...that depends on your meter. Most multiple choice quizes need the "none of the above" option, they tend to be too black and white.

Nancy

betatoo responded:
I got an 81% on the test. My failing answers were in mostly about choosing one choice instead of choosing both. I also follow a low starch diet, which many believe to be low carb, a misnomer. At the same time, I did not realize that less hair on the legs was a sign of neuropathy. I have had little hair on my legs in patches, and assumed it was the Jeans rubbing against the leg in those areas. Don't think I will worry. Many of the answers and questions could be ambiguous if one thinks too long-use your gut.

nutrijoy replied to betatoo's response:
Beta,
I got 100% correct! I just followed the hints that others have posted, didn't answer according to my gut but instead, put on my dunce cap and pretended that I believed all of the ADA recommendations and guidelines. After that, it was a no-brainer (pun intended). The loss of hair on the legs was mentioned in Dr. Bernstein's book and he experienced that problem himself until he stumbled upon the key to normalizing his blood sugars. I doi disagree with some of the answers that I gave but suspected that they were "correct" based on the person who designed the quiz using "conventional wisdom" which is anything but.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thank you again for the feedback everyone!

Auriga1 - I see that this quiz was reviewed by one of our medical editors in June 2012 so I don't think that qualifies as dated...

flutetooter replied to nutrijoy's response:
I, too, subscribed to your conclusion that the test is based on conventional wisdom, which doesn't work for me. I am also a fan of Dr. Bernstein's although still being in the "pre" category, I don't keep my carbs quite as low as his. Did you follow his last "Webinar" in the last week or so? It was on carb counting. If you missed it, go to his web site and see when the rebroadcast can be heard. He answers question and gives advice for one hour about once a month.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

NWSmom4g replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I would also argue against the "loss of leg hair". As we age, we tend to lose body hair (unless we were very hairy to begin with). I don't think it has anything to do with diabetes, just one of the dubious benefits of being over 65!

Nancy

nutrijoy replied to flutetooter's response:
I listen to most of Bernstein's webinars. Those that I miss I normally go back and download the MP3 file (usually around 10MB) which don't, of course, include any visuals (slides). I do not agree with all of his statements as each of us is somewhat unique and our reactions/responses to food and drugs may differ (at least as it pertains to my own body).

I am also a subscriber to Bernstein Connections but the site is not as well-constructed as I had hoped. It provides access to all past webinars and includes some videos and other stuff. His forums are essentially in stasis (few if any active participants) and it is apparently not monitored. The site could be vastly improved by simply "seeding" new discussions and using active monitors to respond to questions/problems posted by visitors (but that would entail another expense so I don't envision it becoming popular anytime soon).

betatoo replied to nutrijoy's response:
All of this just goes to show that in the end its what works for you. Myself, I have cut back so far on starches that a piece of breakfast toast is my largest serving of "starch" The rest of the meals include carbs, but they are all veggies-broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, squash, etc. plus the salad that I eat at every meal. I include lean protein-fish or chicken on most meals after breakfast. One piece of dark chocolate a day, and desserts are berries with whipped cream. I have great meals, and don't miss the starches and sugars. Nowdays don't really stand the taste of sweet foods at all.

nutrijoy replied to betatoo's response:
My diet is similar to your's beta but I have eliminated ALL grains from my diet including wheat, barley, corn and rice. I was preparing quite a bit of dishes using almond flour and "riced" cauliflower until I began experimenting with coconut flour which is very low carb and high in both protein and fiber. I now enjoy pancakes and waffles (made with coconut flour and lots of eggs) on a regular basis ... lightly sweetened with erythritol, xylitol or stevia (not all at the same time). Because of the low-carb content (4 to 6 grams per serving), I often add some berries (usually blueberries or strawberries) to make it a terrific meal and still keep it under 12 carbs total. I purchase only organic coconut flour from various online sources during their monthly promos.

For dark chocolate, I only eat the ChocoPerfection bars (sinful chocolate without the sin). The entire bar (divided into 5 squares) only has 2 net grams of carbs per bar and I rarely eat more than a couple of squares per sitting. The best price I have found for these is at Netrition and the cost is around $3 per bar in dozen lot quantities (various flavors are available).

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.