Type 1 diabetic Carb count?
rebainnh posted:
My daughter, a 9 yr old type 1 diabetic, is very fit and active. I know a few other families in town who also have children with T1. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I wanted to know if it is important as to how many carbs you consume at each meal as long as you account for them with insulin? My daughter has a big appetite. She can easily consume 80+ carbs in one meal. She is a healthy eater, ie: loves fruit, veggies, deli sandwiches, nuts, yogurt, oatmeal... Shouold we be cutting back on the carbs?

mrscora01 responded:
It depends on who you talk to. Many type 2s will scream to the rooftops that low carb is the only way to go. But type 1 and type 2 are different diseases. There are many type 1s who have lived complication free for 50 years and they did not limit carbs. I didn't either, but would only eat about 100 to 150 per day. By "only" I mean that this is much lower than many diabetes associations recommend. I did this because I am a small person and didn't need the extra calories. I personally believe in a balanced diet for a child. But I am not a doctor.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008