Atkins
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
Anyone out there still following Atkins diet? Why or why not?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Dr. D!

For those who may not be familiar with Atkins, here is basic information including what the diet is, how it works and expert reviews: What Is the Atkins Diet?

I'm looking forward to hearing first person experiences.

Haylen

p.s More information about high protein diets here: High Protein Diet Slideshow

betatoo replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I do not watch the fats that I eat. I still have cheese, still have some italian type meats, and still will eat a whole egg even though breakfast is eggbeaters. I have cut most of the starches, all of the white ones, and way way back on orange and brown starches. I still eat my meats, chicken, beef twice a month. Fish is free game, as are avocados and nuts. When I was losing too much weight from exercise and diet, I used nuts and avocados to keep from losing too much too fast. I know that some people have trouble losing weight, i just never have. At the same time I know that this diet is not for everyone-it just works for me. Is it Atkins? I don't know. It is low in starch higher in protein.

mhall6252 responded:
I am still a firm believer in Atkins to control blood sugar. I am not as strict as I was over the past ten years, but having stage iv cancer changes your perspective about things like eating an occasional dessert or a good piece of bread. Atkins worked for me for a very long time. I still try to keep my carb intake to about 100 grams a day - not exactly Atkins but not the 180 grams recommended to me by the dietician I met with in 2000.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.