Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Atkins
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
Anyone out there still following Atkins diet? Why or why not?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Dr. D!

For those who may not be familiar with Atkins, here is basic information including what the diet is, how it works and expert reviews: What Is the Atkins Diet?

I'm looking forward to hearing first person experiences.

Haylen

p.s More information about high protein diets here: High Protein Diet Slideshow

betatoo replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I do not watch the fats that I eat. I still have cheese, still have some italian type meats, and still will eat a whole egg even though breakfast is eggbeaters. I have cut most of the starches, all of the white ones, and way way back on orange and brown starches. I still eat my meats, chicken, beef twice a month. Fish is free game, as are avocados and nuts. When I was losing too much weight from exercise and diet, I used nuts and avocados to keep from losing too much too fast. I know that some people have trouble losing weight, i just never have. At the same time I know that this diet is not for everyone-it just works for me. Is it Atkins? I don't know. It is low in starch higher in protein.

mhall6252 responded:
I am still a firm believer in Atkins to control blood sugar. I am not as strict as I was over the past ten years, but having stage iv cancer changes your perspective about things like eating an occasional dessert or a good piece of bread. Atkins worked for me for a very long time. I still try to keep my carb intake to about 100 grams a day - not exactly Atkins but not the 180 grams recommended to me by the dietician I met with in 2000.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.