Popcorn--pro or con?
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
Is popcorn a useful part of an eating strategy for diabetes?

Some of my patients steer clear because it is starchy, while others embrace it as a relatively low-calorie crunchy salty snack.

Where do you stand and why?

Debsbears responded:
I do not eat it any more I can not digest it.

Prior to my partial colon removal I ate it all the time - it did not raise my sugars so it was good for me at snack time.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

laura2gemini2 responded:
I find it doesnt raise my sugar as badly as most other starchy white foods. I have popcorn about once a week as my Saturday movie snack. I just have a little bit of blue popcorn (tastes better in my opinion than the yellow kind) with just a little dash of garlic salt.

auriga1 responded:
Eat popcorn rarely. Never was one of my favorite snacks.

If I am going to eat popcorn, I go full crazy with the mixture of cheese popcorn mixed with caramel popcorn. Now that is a treat for me! LOL. Salty sweet combo gets me every time.

I'd rather eat some yummy fruit.

dianer01 responded:
I enjoy popcorn 2 or 3 times a month. One of the reasons I love popcorn is because I am an expert at the hand to mouth thing and it doesn't run my blood sugar up. So I get lots of hand to mouth, crunchy-salty satisfaction.

Keeps me away from the cheetos.
accelerate out of the corners

betatoo responded:
I eat popcorn when I go to the movies. Maybe I should stop going! However, wife and I split a medium bag, and enjoy it maybe twice a month. I find that it does nothing to the way I feel. At the same time I do limit myself on other starches on days we have popcorn. I still eat mostly salad and veggies with lean protein.

mrscora01 responded:
My husband often has popcorn (air popped) as a treat. He does control his carb intake and takes this into account. It doesn't spike him either, so it's a yummy snack.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mhall6252 responded:
Popcorn - yes, absolutely yes! When I eat it, I have it as a supper replacement on a Sunday night. That's a long-standing family tradition - popcorn, koolaid and Disney. Light lemonaid has replaced the koolaid but nothing can take the place of popcorn!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.