Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Popcorn--pro or con?
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
Is popcorn a useful part of an eating strategy for diabetes?

Some of my patients steer clear because it is starchy, while others embrace it as a relatively low-calorie crunchy salty snack.

Where do you stand and why?

Debsbears responded:
I do not eat it any more I can not digest it.

Prior to my partial colon removal I ate it all the time - it did not raise my sugars so it was good for me at snack time.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

laura2gemini2 responded:
I find it doesnt raise my sugar as badly as most other starchy white foods. I have popcorn about once a week as my Saturday movie snack. I just have a little bit of blue popcorn (tastes better in my opinion than the yellow kind) with just a little dash of garlic salt.

auriga1 responded:
Eat popcorn rarely. Never was one of my favorite snacks.

If I am going to eat popcorn, I go full crazy with the mixture of cheese popcorn mixed with caramel popcorn. Now that is a treat for me! LOL. Salty sweet combo gets me every time.

I'd rather eat some yummy fruit.

dianer01 responded:
I enjoy popcorn 2 or 3 times a month. One of the reasons I love popcorn is because I am an expert at the hand to mouth thing and it doesn't run my blood sugar up. So I get lots of hand to mouth, crunchy-salty satisfaction.

Keeps me away from the cheetos.
accelerate out of the corners

betatoo responded:
I eat popcorn when I go to the movies. Maybe I should stop going! However, wife and I split a medium bag, and enjoy it maybe twice a month. I find that it does nothing to the way I feel. At the same time I do limit myself on other starches on days we have popcorn. I still eat mostly salad and veggies with lean protein.

mrscora01 responded:
My husband often has popcorn (air popped) as a treat. He does control his carb intake and takes this into account. It doesn't spike him either, so it's a yummy snack.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mhall6252 responded:
Popcorn - yes, absolutely yes! When I eat it, I have it as a supper replacement on a Sunday night. That's a long-standing family tradition - popcorn, koolaid and Disney. Light lemonaid has replaced the koolaid but nothing can take the place of popcorn!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.