Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I need help for mom
dana_jenny posted:
She has type 2 diabetes and sometimes her blood sugar goes really high (i think because of stress), is there a quick fix for that? like a certain food(s) that she can eat ? I know that for a Low blood sugar there are a few things that will help but nothing i've read mentioned the lowering of a High blood sugar.
Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

First, let me say that is your mom is having trouble with high blood glucose levels that she needs to contact her doctor asap.

When levels are elevated activity of some type usually works such as a 15-30 minute walk. Many people also find that drinking a lot of plain water helps along with the activity. To maintain blood glucose levels at good levels (80-120 fasting and under 140-180 two hours after a meal), activity and a low carbohydrate diet are all used together with any prescription medications.

If the levels are dangerously high, such near or over 300, it is best to contact the doctor immediately. Much higher than that would probably require a trip to the emergency room.

Again, the bottom line is that you or your mom needs to contact her doctor soon.

I hope she can get this under control.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 responded:
Dave is right. The one thing is that if her blood sugar is really, really high, the only thing that will bring it down quickly would be a rapid-acting insulin. There is no quick fix for a high blood glucose level. Water and physical activity will bring it down, but not as fast as an insulin would.

You don't mention how high it is. Every doctor does differ on how high a blood glucose number is before a recommendation to the ER is given. Mine sent me to the ER because it was 435 two hours after a meal.

Is your mom physically able to perform any physical activity? Walking is the easiest.

As I said before, there are no foods or drink that will quickly bring down a glucose level except for insulin.

dana_jenny replied to davedsel57's response:
Thank you so much Dave, I have scheduled an appointment for her next Friday. It's so hard to make her go to the doctor, or anywhere else...she hardly goes out. her blood sugar hasn't been lower than 200 for the past 3 weeks. I will make her go see the doctor no matter what her "excuse" will be.
Thank you again.
Daniela

dana_jenny replied to auriga1's response:
Her blood sugar about 2 hours after she eats is usually high 200's,sometimes 300, the doctor told her to try to keep it around 160 but it's very hard, she doesn't eat right, she doesn't want to get out of the house (for walks) i offered to go with her but she refused. I scheduled an appoinment for her to see the doctor, hopefully he'll get on her case about not following his advise.
Thank you so much
Daniela

auriga1 replied to dana_jenny's response:
Yes, sounds like she is eating the wrong foods. Her BS should be 140 and under after two hours.

Sorry that you have to deal with her stubborness. It makes me angry because my own mother was like that. I thought she knew better or she just buried her head in the sand.

I strongly urge you to go to the doctor with your mom if you can. My mom passed from diabetic complications because she refused to deal with it. She dealt with kidney failure and amputations. It wasn't easy to watch and deal with. I inherited diabetes from her and have been diligent in what I eat. I want to keep my diabetes completely under control.

I wish you the best of luck, Dana. Hopefully, the doctor can knock some sense into her.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.