Skip to content
New and confused
Chargit71 posted:
Hello out there... I am a 47 yr old female about 40lbs overweight. Relatively good health. I exercise about 4-5 x a week (aerobics/walking) I have been told that I am insulin resistant. Not sure exactly what that means. i know I have had episodes of low blood sugar - one bad one this evening that brought me here. I took my level on this meter and it said 76 Everything I looked at so far says that is within normal range. I was sweaty and trembling so bad i could barely take the reading. I drank some soda and ate a mini chocolate bar and it subsided. I ate a small meal and took the reading again about an hour later and it was 143. Im confused. If 76 is within normal range why would I have these symptoms? Do normal ranges vary that much? I have had symptoms before but never diagnosed with diabetes. Just ate something sweet and it went away. Tonight I was under alot of stress and hadnt eaten much either when it happened. I had gestational diabetes 25 years ago. And I had a fasting 6 hour A1C test done at a clinic last year. I made it about 4 hours when my sugars dropped to 54(?) and I freaked out and had to get out of there and eat something. That was the worst feeling - kind of like the one tonight but I think tonights was worse because I was trembling so hard. The first A1c test I had said 6.3 and that doctor wanted to put me on metformin. My cardiologist said she had no record of any sugar problems after 7 years under her care so she had me buy a test kit and retake it 3 months later. The results were 4.5. So that was about 6 months ago. So todays episode was scary. Ive been tired lately, waking up sweaty, which i contribute to womans issues, and have alot of major stressors in my life right now. I try to eat healthy and avoid caffeine and junk food - but I do have my weaknesses. So Please- im new here and am open to any advice you EXPERTS can pass my way!! Thanks - D

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm
Read through that for some very useful information.

Normal blood glucose ranges are 80-120 fasting and under 140-180 2 hours after a meal. That reading of 54 was much too low. You should probably discuss this further with your doctor.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.