Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
statistics
dteresa posted:
At diagnosis what percentage of diabetics are overweight or obese and what percentage normal weight or thin? A thirty year old person might be obese and not have diabetes but become diabetic when he or she is 50. Is it the age or the weight that produces the diabetes? Do you have links to any articles that show the relationship between either age or weight and diabetes?

Leaders of the fat acceptance movement insist that overweight or obesity is not a health problem as long as you are fit. And there are some studies on the paradox of obesity which show that overweight persons have a lower mortality rate than normal weight persons.

Dolores

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I did a search using Yahoo and found this related article in the WebMD Weight Loss and Diet Plans area that may answer some of your questions: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100210/percentage-of-overweight-obese-americans-swells

I am obese and have been since about 5 years old. I have lost and gained back the same pounds on multiple programs. I am still striving and will never give up. Weight loss surgery may be an option for me in the very near future.

I had no major health problems until I turned 40. That year was a definite turning point and my body started to feel the affects of the extra weight. Serious complications began setting in, including being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Sleep Apnea in 2001 when I was 44 years old. Personally, I do not see how someone can be overweight or obese and consider themselves to be fit - at least not indefinitely.

You would also find more information by using Yahoo or Google to search. This is a very interesting topic.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears responded:
I do not have statistics or links mine is personal experience.

I was 51 not over weight it runs in my entire family so genetic.

I didn't want it - was dx'd with it - put it in remission and as far as I can tell I'll do everything I can to keep it that way.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

betatoo replied to Debsbears's response:
Right on Deb! I like you am active, and not overweight. Unlike you there is no history of T2 or T1 in the family tree! Go figure, if it is going to get you it is going to get you. I too will do as much as I can to keep this thing in the can.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.