Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A1C testing with issues
Bella2Ruby posted:
A1C testing for new health insurance; I am iron deficient anemic and want to know how long should I take supplements before testing again for the A1C. Also, I was on steroids for pneumonia for 3 months and think that might also be playing into a 6.4 reading for pre-diabetes. Can anyone suggest how to prepare for a test in 2 days with this issue?
Thank you!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I think a call to your doctor and/or pharmacist would get you better results than posting this question here. Most of us are not doctors or medical professionals, and I think that is who would answer this question best.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 responded:
There is no way to prepare for an A1C in two days. The A1C is a measure taken of your blood glucose levels for the past three months.

Steroids will raise your blood glucose levels. If those steroids were taken very recently, you will probably have a higher than normal A1C. Is there any way to explain this regarding the new health insurance? Any way of putting it off until things get back to normal?

Bella2Ruby replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you for the reply to both of you and I guess I will keep my current insurance and not apply for new insurance until it is out of my system. I appreciate the advice. Sincerely, Bella

brunosbud responded:
"...steroids for pneumonia..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22156902

"...According to the current evidence, there are no data to support the well tolerated use of systemic steroids as a standard of care in pneumonia, neither in mild-to-moderate and severe, nor in bacterial and viral infection...In addition, adverse effects, namely hyperglycemia, superinfections, as well as increased length-of-stay, were frequent findings in the steroid-treated patients..."

For everyone, diabetic or otherwise, is never hurts to investigate compatibility of drugs recommended with the condition you have...

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.