Skip to content
Detective for rising blood sugar
flutetooter posted:
I am setting off on a journey to be a detectve for my rising blood sugar to see if there are things I can control better, and/or make another visit to my doctor. A month ago my A1c was up several 10th of a point to 6.5. BINGO. My "Bayer Now" home A1c kit was also up to 6.5 from a 3 month previous 3 mo. average of 5.7. My fasting sugars are about 95 - 101, up from 80-90 range, and my after meal numbers are quite a bit higher for me. My list of possibilities are:
1. I'm just older and have lot less beta cells left
2. Stress due to planning huge 50th wedding anniversary party for 250 people
3. 8 week project of having retaining wall replaced and replanting - not yet finished due to rain
4. Lack of sleep due to #2 & 3 above
5. Munching on cheese and crackers due to stress
6. Eating a few bits of restaurant bread when eating out
7. "Mystery" sauces and seasonings when eating out more frequently.
8. A lower level undiagnosed infection (the last time this happened, I had Lyme disease and the blood sugars came down with treatment)
9. Lack of regular one mile brisk walks in exchange for more garden digging and more computer time
10. More than normal visitors and guests who require feeding
11. A community-wide ugly fight about deer
12. A division in our church
13. Planning a total family cruise to the Bahamas (19 people)
14. One week left before the Community Arts and Crafts Fair. My photo shadow boxes are only half done
15. Not keeping a current diary of carbs

My conclusion/diagnosis = Any/Some/ or All of the above! My prescription = Start taking the small dosage of Metformin the doctor prescribed, get real about following the lower carb, calorie restricted diet that has always worked for me, take my meds, get enough sleep, quiting worrying so much, drink more water, and get more exercise. If there is any time left, ENJOY LIFE!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
There you go, Flute. Enjoy life. So many variables in rising blood sugars. Quit worrying so much. Easier said than done, I know.

Talk about stress. Woosh. At least you put it down in black and white and can go from there.

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks auriga 1. My numbers were much better already this morning, with a good night's sleep and making some progress on my art projects and gardening. Never believe a retaining wall builder who says he will remove your plants and put them back afterwards. I guess he did mostly that -- he put them back in clumps on top of each other so that a person would break a leg walking in the area over the hard clumps and holes in between. There will be no rain here for three days so maybe we can finish before the next storms and snow. Just a note - I did check my testing strips and meter and they were working O.K. I also cut way back on the carbs and cheese and my blood sugar numbers came down quickly after a meal.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Good to hear, Flute, about your numbers. I do not like to tell people to give up carbs, because we need them for energy. The good carbs, of course. I have cut way down, so I don't have to use as much insulin.

I'll probably be on insulin the rest of my life. My doc thinks I don't have any working beta cells in the pancreas. Also, he thinks I was probably diabetic for many, many years before I was initially diagnosed. My sugars were running higher than normal in my 30's. Who would have thought? Underweight at times, active and usually ate right. Diabetes runs on my mother's side - heavily. All were on insulin.

Things will happen in life that we think we have control of. When we realize we don't, it stresses us to the extreme.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.