Skip to content
Insulin/Steroids
ck1399 posted:
My brother has had type one diabetes since he was 6. He is pretty big and muscular and everyone says that he is that way because "insulin" contains steroids and that is why he is built that way. I don't believe that is true, but I wanted a professional opinion because I don't know the facts.

mrscora01 responded:
I've never heard that ridiculous statement before (and I've heard a lot of them with over 40 years of type 1). Insulin contains insulin, not steroids. Where on earth do people get this weird stuff?

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

ck1399 replied to mrscora01's response:
I have no idea, but it's so annoying! I have heard that body builders use it to get bigger, but I feel like it doesn't work the same as someone with diabetes they need that insulin to live. People without diabetes already produce insulin naturally so I think when they double up on it that might boost their hormone in take, but I feel like there is no way it works the same with some one the has diabetes.

auriga1 replied to ck1399's response:
Insulin does not contain steroids. Insulin is a natural hormone produced by the pancreas. We have glands in our body producing different hormones.

Your brother is big and muscular. People are thinking he is probably using anabolic steroids that many body builders use. Usually contain some form of testosterone or synthetic testosterone. In no way is this related to insulin produced by the pancreas.

Both men and women have testosterone. Obviously, men have more. The testes and ovaries are the major producers of this hormone. The adrenal glands produce a little of this steroid hormone also.

As Ms. Cora said, where do people get this stuff? Totallly something out of left field, but a young girl asked me if she could get pregnant if the guy was Rh negative. Huh? She was told by this guy that she couldn't get pregnant because he was a different Rh than she was. Oh my goodness. Again, where does this stuff come from?

ck1399 replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you guys for the feedback It's much appreciated.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.