Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A1C How long?
coleysmom63 posted:
Hi everyone:
Just wondering....how long should it take for an A1C to come back from the lab? I had my A1C done a week ago and the Dr still has no results. Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I guess that depends on the lab and the doctor. I have my fasting blood work done 2-3 days before an appointment and my doctor either has the results or can easily get them.

A week seems too long to me. Can you call the lab itself?
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

dianer01 responded:
How's this, it depends upon the lab.

My previous insurance used a national lab which posted results on-line and my Dr. was hooked into their system, the turn around was about 24 hours. My current insurance uses a different national lab which either does not post their results for the Dr. to download or my Dr. is not on their system. It takes 5-7 days to get results depending upon holidays, weekends and mail carrier schedule. At the least it is exasperating.

You may check with your insurance and Doctors office to see if there is a lab which has a better turn around time.
accelerate out of the corners

coleysmom63 responded:
Thank you all, I don't know what lab they use. They drew the lab in their office. A week seems to long to me also. I am on pins and needles waiting for these results. Usually they get my Thyroid panels back within a week. Does the A1C take longer?

DavidHueben replied to coleysmom63's response:
The A1C testing does not take longer.

If you want to know what lab they use...ask.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.