Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Losing my little toe nail
Skypilotjhw posted:
So I'm a mild diabetic, 55, type 2. Today I was clipping my toe nails and the little one on my right foot just fell off. No pain at all. It has been discolored ever since a 4 day hike on the A.T. this past August when it did feel like it was going to fall off.
I just had a checkup and my dr wasn't worried at all about my feet due to my diabetes. Over all my feet are in great shape.

So my question is... should I worry about this? Should I wrap the to to protect it? Like I said it doesn't hurt. It looks really good. (No blood or anything like that) It just is kinda weird. Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I would put a call in to your doctor just to be sure. I take it your primary doctor checks your feet, not a podiatrist?

It will probably be OK, but there may be a chance for infection. So a call to your doctor would be the safest thing to do.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

laura2gemini2 responded:
I once had an issue like this. I was working in a blast freezer and I dropped a box full of frozen plasma bottles on my foot and injured the toenail (as well as a serious bruise across my foot). A few months later the nail just fell off and scared me to death. Every time it grew it would fall off again. I ended up going to the podiatrist where he said I ended up getting a fungal infection in the nail bed when I originally injured the toe. A few months of Lamisil and the nail started growing back.

I would say check in with a doctor just to make sure you dont have an infection.

kieub responded:
Hello Sky,
I have had the very same problem like you for many years due to hiking. It is when your boots/shoes were not long enough or loosely fitting, when you going down hill your foot push up against the boot and caused the blood to pool under the toe nails, eventually the nail will fall off and the new nail will grow out again. Only do not try to pull the injured nail off when it is loose. If the doctor checked and found no fungus problem and the foot is healthy then it should not be much of a concern. To avoid the problem I suggest you need a pair of perfect fit boots, snug along side the foot and about 1 full number larger than your dress shoes to leave room for thick cushiony hiking socks and extra room in the toes.
For the first 10 years of my hiking career, I had 3 set of new toe nails before I found the perfect boots and the black toe-nails disappeared for good. Since I found "Cresta" boot my feet were very happy and no more problems for the more than 15 years now. By the way, my husband and I are members of a volunteer trail maintenance group for a section of the AT in PA. We walked more than 1100 miles on all rocky trails per year. This is my own experiences on hiking injury. I am also diabetic type 2, 67 yrs old, on no medication.
Kieub

brunosbud replied to kieub's response:
Thanking you for sharing that excellent information. Sounds like you've got a fabulous lifestyle. I hope to run into you on the AT, someday.

Skypilotjhw replied to kieub's response:
bingo - That's exactly my experience. The boots I wore had a roomy toe box and I wondered when I purchased them about this. Every step I could feel my toes twister just a bit, especially when I was on a side hill trek with downhill to my left(My left foot held all the weight and I could feel the weight shift to the side of the foot with each step) even when I had my laces tighter than tight. I probably will give my dr a call but if I was a betting man I'd say Kieub hit it on the nose. Thank you to all of you who have commented. The foot and toe feel great and looks clear and fine. Thank goodness... Keep treking!!!

dteresa replied to Skypilotjhw's response:
My brother is an avid hiker and had exactly that problem. Now he uses lambs wool for his toes, just like ballet dancers do. It solved his problem.

Dolores

Skypilotjhw replied to dteresa's response:
Does he wear the lambs wool only when he hikes or all the time?

dteresa replied to Skypilotjhw's response:
So far as I know only when he hikes and is wearing his hiking boots. He started using it after his toenails heeled and didn't go hiking until they did. The problem was the down hill stretches,not while hiking up hill. So far as I know he hasn't had any more problems. However, my daughter was a dancer and all the girls had toenail problems sometimes even with the lambs wool.

Dolores

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.