Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High readings after insulin change
limerick28 posted:
Why don't you experiment a little on your own. It is your body. Try increasing the dose or go back to the med you gad success with.Doctors aren't gods you know. I often make changes that I think I need. I have had diabetes for 40 years.No complications,

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

It appears you tried to reply to an existing discussion but clicked on "Post Now" instead, creating this new thread.

You may have been able to handle your dosage changes on your own for 40 years, but not everyone can and really no one should. Doctors may not be gods but they have more medical knowledge than we lay people do.

IMHO, posting this on a public message board is dangerous. Everyone should consult with their doctor before making changes to their medication.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

brunosbud responded:
I absolutely agree. Through experimentation with dosing, it is the only way to get a true understanding of how your body reacts to insulin.

Example: Most diabetics on insulin can affect postprandial (after meal) readings through dietary adjustments and after meal walks far easier than elevated fasting numbers. What that means is that there is much to learn about how much insulin you will need to use depending on how aggressively you wish to utilize lifestyle techniques to maintain control of your blood sugar. Since most people do very little eating or walking while they sleep at night, less experimentation would be required but, nevertheless, the combination and interplay of slow acting Lantus and rapid acting Novolog or Humalog requires considerable experimentation and fine tuning to find just the right dosing for each individual.

Nobody's saying to ignore your doctor's instruction and free-wheel or go without as the whim arises. If that's your situation, you've got a far greater problem than high blood sugar. But, for those that want to thoroughly understand how their body responds to insulin, I think it is absolutely necessary to "experiment" as limerick28 suggests...

because with the needle and the meter in hand, 99% of the time your doctor is usually no where to be found. "Physician, heal thyself."

lurker001 replied to davedsel57's response:
I agree consult with a Endocrinologist and look into a insulin pump (if your insurance covers it) I have great A1C readings using the Omnipod for over a year now.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.