Skip to content
Diabetic Seizures ~ Death.
lurker001 posted:
Today I was reading an article where a Emmy award winning journalist passed away from a "Diabetic Seizure" I have heard that even with normal blood glucose levels in the body a seizure can occur. This sparked my interest I have type 1 Diabetes. I was diagnosed @ 11 years old I am now 32. Ive had my Hypoglycemic episodes but never this bad. Attached is a link to the article. This man was using a "therapy dog" to track blood sugar levels. Is this normal ? couldn't have this been prevented by just checking his blood sugar traditionally or is it possible to seize and die like a heart attack?

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/11/newly-married-anchorman-died-joel-connable

Anon_74671 responded:
everybody talks about the long term complications of diabetes and how they ultimately lead to dearth, but no one talks about the very real threat of sudden death from hypoglycemia.

Many long term diabetics suffer from hypoglycemia unawareness, whereby they don't feel the blood sugar dropping. This can lead to seizure, coma, death if no one is around to spot that your sugar is low and help you.

This is why CGMs are gaining in popularity and also they sue of diabetic alert dogs. I don't see the mention of either in the article you posted, but I suspect the dog was to alert, it is not a substitute for testing.

Anon_74671 replied to Anon_74671's response:
my bad, I see the part about the dog now....

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thank you for sharing this sad story lurker

I'm not sure how extensive the use of service dogs is for diabetics. Several members of the WebMD Epilepsy Community use seizure dogs for a variety of uses like barking to alert family members of a seizure or helping to prevent seizure related injuries by staying close to someone having a seizure. Here's a list of various diabetes associations where you might find additional information on service dogs: Diabetes Resources

For those interested, additional information about CGMs that Anon mentioned can be found here: Diabetes and Continuous Glucose Monitoring

I'd love to hear from any community members who have used a service dog!

Haylen

Debsbears replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen, where I just moved from there was two lab service dogs.

One alerts his owner when she is about to have a seizure by barking and pulling her to the floor so she wouldn't fall and hurt herself. DJ has said "shaggy" has saved her life 3 times in 3 years.

The other dog helps his owner open doors, turn on lights and get things from the floor she can't get or pick up. He is also trained to press the button on the floor for life alert in case of an emergency. This woman is wheel chair bound can't do much for herself without the service dog "Mokie"

Both dogs are very friendly but totally dedicated to their owners and they keep a very close eye on them, they never leave their owners sides. It is amazing to see what these dogs can do.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
WOW! Thank you for sharing Deb! I can't imagine the special bonds these dogs have with their owners.

I've heard of service dogs being used for those suffering from depression as well.

Hope you are doing well and settled in from the move Deb!

Haylen

Debsbears replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
They even have little dogs that can sniff out cancer from people. I saw that on an evening commentary. There were 4 people on the show who were diagnosed with different kinds of cancer and this little dog actually walked around the person the person were laying on the floor, the dog would stop, lay down on the floor and point his nose to the area in question. He was right with all 4 people.

One guy had cancer of the spine the dog never sat down until they told the man to lay on his stomach the dog immediately pointed his nose to the guys back. I am awed by what animals can do.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.