Skip to content
lacking advise.
rocketbob posted:
Havn't posted in quite awhile because my metformin wasn't working well at keeping my numbers in control. Finally got a new doc who changed my meds to glipzide which has given me numbers for the first time below a hundred. Unfortunately I took a fall off a ladder breaking a transverse and bruising everything else it would seem . A cat scan revealed chronic pancreaititis, legions on my liver, thickening of my bowl and lympnodes in my abdomen.This has caused me considerable pain and I am not sure how to adjust my diet to accomodate these problems. I don't see my doc again until Wed. Needless to say I am not real pleased with the hospital which did nothing but pump me full of morphine and advise me much of my condition is often seen among chronic alcohol abusers. Well i havn't had a drop in twelve years and didn't appreciate the commentary. In the meanwhile everything is tolerable till I cough or worse snezze which just about doubles me over in pain. However i am a tough old bird and have been through worse. Any diet advise would be helpful. Thanks Rocketbob.

Take the Poll

advice
  • Any is accptable
  • not sure what this is asking.
vote
View Poll Results

DavidHueben responded:
I hope you understand that the mechanisms of action for Metformin and Glipzide are completely different. Met helps reduce insulin resistance at the cellular level. Glip stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. Two completely different classes of meds.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

rocketbob replied to DavidHueben's response:
Thanks for the imput David. i do realize the two drugs work differently and its reflected in my meter readings. I am just frustrated in getting any info from my doc and that i can't get any work done,

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I think you would benefit by reading through the WebMD Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

This should answer your questions and give you some diet advice. Basically, many diabetics follow a diet that includes lots of vegetables, lean protein, some dairy products and is low in carbohydrates. Many avoid any type of starches that are white - white flour, rice, pasta and potatoes. Whole grains are best for many people.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 responded:
Rocket, diet advice is sometimes a little difficult. Sadly, each of us is a little different or a lot different.

I have found that I can not eat carbohydrates without my sugar rising. (I need to use insulin to keep things under control.)

Some people can eat more carbs than others. The general idea for diabetics is to cut down on carbs. For me, it had to be waaaaay down.

I think the best thing for you do to do is to count your carbs at each meal and write then down. Take your blood sugar reading two hours after each meal. This way you can see how carbs are affecting your blood glucose readings.

My dietician told me to limit carbs to 35-45 per meal. When I first started doing this, I realized that amount is really very small. You have to be judicious in selecting the type of carbs you eat. The complex carbs are the best which is lots of greens and veggies. Include protein with your carbs and lots of fiber to prevent you BS from going way up on you.

Get yourself a carb counter. All carbs are not created equal. I was astounded when my dietician gave me a "15-carb" pamplet of foods. The whole thing was a list of amounts of foods at 15 grams of carbs. 1/3 cup rice is 15 grams carbs, 1/3 C of baked beans, 15 grams. Same with pasta, cooked.

If you can, stay away from any grains and try lean proteins, lots of veggies, some fruits for a little bit. There are some veggies to stay away from such as peas and corn.Test your BS regularly and see what kinds of results you come up with. A little experimentation will yield some results, hopefully good ones.

rocketbob replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks or your suggestions from Edsel iand and hopefully they will be more profitable than Edsel ever was. Thus far it looks as though there are few problems with my diet and my numbers have much improved with the glipzide. They might also do bettter when i can start exercising again after i can get the Pain from the pancreaitits under control.Seeing my prmary again on Wed. so hope is on the horizon, Thanks.

rocketbob replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks Auriga for the advise. Thus far your comments and others have assured me I am not doing anything to make matters worse. this has been helpful , I am seeing my primary on Wed. and will hopefully know more than.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.