Skip to content
Need some info
paramedic6031 posted:
I have been going to an endrocronologist due to nodules on my thyroid. Recently he did a Glucose test. Came back as Hypoglycemic, Went in recently and had labs done. When I went in for my follow uo visit on my labs, he had done an A1c and told me it was at 6.8 and that I was in the Diabetic level. Hsve been testing sugar at home and it comes up normal around 70 to 110. Have not had any side effects yet. Go back in 12 weeks for another Glucose test and labs. He did tell me that Hypoglycemia is a precursor to diabetes. Would sppreciate any info or input from some of the diabetics out there.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

For a good understanding of Diabetes you can read through the WebMD Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

Fasting blood glucose readings do not tell the whole story. You may be spiking throughout the day causing the higher A1c result. If I were you, I would start living my life as a diabetic. A healthy diet that focuses on vegetables, lean protein and dairy, and is low in starches is what most of us follow. Any and all activity helps to manage this disease. It requires making changes in our lifestyle. Not an easy task but well worth the effort.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

flutetooter replied to davedsel57's response:
It is quite possible that hypoglycemia precedes hyperglycemia. I had low (to me) feelings when I would be dizzy several hours after a meal. Just now, 4 years later, I am beginning to see higher A1c readings. I am cutting back on carbs even more and will probably begin taking metformin which I had avoided before. My fasting sugars are still always in the non-diabetic range, but I go up much higher later in the day, when the insulin that your body makes at night is used up handling the breakfast carbs, and the body can't always make or produce enough insulin quicker during the day to cover the carbs eaten.

You seem to be medically knowledgeable, so I woud suggest three sources of info: 1. Dr. Dansinger's info at the top right of this page 2. A web site Blood Sugar 101 - it is also a blood but the info is free on line #. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal BLood Sugars. Get at least the 2007 revised edition, ang I think the 2012 version is now in print. Ask your library for that one.

At the beginning I tested much sooner after a meal and found that mine went up quite high at times, and then dropped drastically (so the Glucose ToleranceTest was normal after 2 hours).

Those higher readings, however, would require extra pushes of insulin to bring them down because my body was insulin resistant, and so would wear out the pancreas. It gets tired of having to produce much more insulin than a non-diabetic's pancreas. I will bet that you can get hold of this concept right away and delay the onset of complications!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.