Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Insulin resistance in type 1 diabetics
An_248987 posted:
I was wondering if insulin resistance can occur in type 1 diabetics.

nutrijoy responded:
Insulin resistance is a well-known characteristic of type 2 diabetes but a study has found that type 1 diabetics can develop this disorder as well. Source: Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, February 2010

LyleWright responded:
Yes!
Sorry I do not have any links or data to back me up and surprised by there not being more of a response to your post. Maybe I am missing something?
For me, insulin resistance is best observed by the need for half of my "normal" amount of insulin for the 24 to 48 hours after a good bicycle ride.
You have to factor exercise into your calculations.

mrscora01 responded:
Some type 1s do get insulin resistance and are put on metformin. It is sometimes known as double diabetes.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.