Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Confusing Doctor-to doctor reaction to bg levels...
adaptomom posted:
I am confused and more than a little concerned for the husband of a friend of mine. She called me last week with questions about my diagnosis, as her husband just had some fasting bloodwork done and the blood glucose levels came back "a little high". When I asked how high, she said that she thinks it's in the, you know, danger or borderline zone but not actually diabetic range. When pressed, she told me that his fasting bg level was 200. 200! My doctor diagnosed me as diabetic based on two consecutive fasting levels in the 130s (for which I am grateful, as I now have it under tight control and feel better than I ever have). It is beyond me how anyone could have numbers like that and not be told they are diabetic. I visited them the next day with the information I had gotten from the diabetes management clinic which had been very helpful to me, and while I was there he did a random test which read 160. Is it possible that in any place on this earth those readings would not be considered diabetic? I am shocked that his doctor did not order follow up testing or diabetes management for him. He does not seem too concerned, but his wife is beside herself with worry. How can I help? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

DansWildBunch responded:
I to was diagnosed as Diabetic after two readings over 130 in 2006. But my GP didn't do any more than start me on Diabetic meds by mouth with no mention of testing by me or anyone. I now take two oral meds along with two types of insulin, because a lot of General Doctors don't understand the best way to deal with Diabetic control at the onset. I went along time before I ever started testing.

auriga1 responded:
For clarification, I am not a health professional. I am a diabetic who manages my diabetes very well.

I believe most people would consider a fasting of 200 might indicate there is some trouble.

I'm glad you gave them the information you had from the clinic. Do you think they might consider changing doctors?

My doctor says the a.m. fasting numbers should be between 70 and 110. Some doctors prefer that to be 70-100. 200 is entirely unacceptable. I have never come across any website or doctor in my sphere that says a fasting of 200 is acceptable or normal.

My fastings at diagnosis were 250, sometimes higher. I was immediately put on insulin to bring my BS down ASAP. It's dangerous living daily with those readings.

In my humble opinion, a new doctor would be on the agenda as of yesterday.

adaptomom replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks, auriga1. I completely agree, a new doctor is warranted. My doctor's guidelines are the same as your: 70-110 fasting. I think I can suggest a second opinion might be needed. He is not as concerned for himself as his wife is for him. This is a person who has a significant family history of heart disease and has himself already had one heart attack while still in his forties. He is 56 now. Thanks for your advice. I will do what I can to push the new doctor idea.

brunosbud responded:
http://www.globalrph.com/glycemia.htm

That's a list of drugs that can cause temporary hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). Corticosteroids (prednisone) can cause even non diabetics to show diabetic bs readings...

Maybe his doctor is bad...

Maybe he's not...That's why is asked, "Meds?"

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.