Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is "Pre-Diabetic" Type 2?
An_249016 posted:
I wonder if pre-diabetic is like what "borderline" used to be until, the way I understand it, they started calling "borderline" type 2.

It seems to me that more people could be helped more with the label of pre-diabetic, if they were given glucose meters, too. (My friend is pre-diabetic and hasn't got a clue what his blood sugars are...and he doesn't know what to do in general. A meter would anchor him.)

davedsel57 responded:
Yes, pre-diabetic is what borderline used to be and they both refer to Type 2 Diabetes. The standards are that two consecutive fasting blood glucose readings between 100 and 125 show probable pre-diabetes.

In an ideal world, everyone who needed one would be given a glucose meter. In the real world, the meters and strips are inexpensive and readily available at many pharmacies including WalMart.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Bastet replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks, Dave, for your reply.

DavidHueben replied to Bastet's response:
The two fasting glucose tests must be done on separate days.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.