Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Well....maybe it's time.
Liladieni posted:
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I posted, but I visit off and on, and have been visiting more often the past few days.

I have had my blood sugar under a decent control, with a1C of 6.8, untill about 2 weeks ago. Then my morning sugars started climbing, eventually hovering around the 200 mark. During the day I had spikes of 300 to 350. I talked to my doc about it on the 8th...he drew labs and wanted more records kept on it untill the labs came back, which he has not notified me that they have yet. Last Friday I called the office.....twice....and got no call back because my blood sugar was pushing 400. Tonight I wound up in the ER because it spiked over 500. They gave me a saline iv and 10 units of insulin, gave me instructions to call my doc in the am and schedule an appointment, preferably a same day appointment. Then they fed me to keep me from dropping too low and sent me home. My sugar is still hovering around the 300 mark.

The ER doctor thinks I am going to need to start insulin therapy to keep my sugar under control and I tend to think he might be right. Sorta scares me a little, but not as much as the damage from constantly high blood sugar scares me. I already have stage 3 renal failure and some neuropathy, don't want those getting worse. I'll do whatever they tell me needs doing to get back under control.

Anyway....just wanted to share with you all, though I am normally more of a lurker than a talker. Going to read a bit more and see how everyone is doing. Take care everyone, and happy Thanksgiving!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I'm glad you shared and updated us.

I hope you can work this out with your doctor and he/she can help you get better control. Doctors offices at this time of year seem so extremely busy. I know ours is. My wife and eldest son have pneumonia and it was hard to get them in to be seen even with that.

Hope to hear from you again soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Liladieni!

I'm sorry you wound up in the ER - how scary and stressful! Sounds like you have the right attitude about insulin therapy - avoiding future health issues is key. Sending positive thoughts your way that you're under control sooner than later.

Wanted to add: Lurkers Welcome! I'm glad to see you posting and hope you continue to lurk/post/participate. New members always benefit from "in the trenches", first hand information.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Haylen

Liladieni replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well, couldn't get an appointment for today, got one for 3:30 tomorrow instead. In the meantime tonight, if it gets that high again, I'll just go back to the ER.

Really wanted some answers today, but tomorrow is the best I could get. I'll just have to wait. I'll post again when I have some real news.

Liladieni replied to Liladieni's response:
Well, looks like it's going to be Lantus at bedtime now. No more Glipizide. Hopefully this will get me back under good control again.

Kinda figured this is where things were going. I'd rather be on insulin than go blind or lose my kidneys completely, thats for sure.

auriga1 replied to Liladieni's response:
I'm glad for you, Liladieni. I was immediately put on insulin (two types) at diagnosis. Best thing that ever happened to me. I have complete control and it feels darn good.

I take Lantus, except for doc presribed the morning injection. Really doesn't matter, since it's a 24-hour basal with no discernible peaks or valleys. I do need to take a rapid-acting insulin at mealtimes, so my BS doesn't go up when I eat.

It's all good. Good attitude. No, we don't want diabetic complications.

Liladieni replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks everyone for your comments. Though my doctor was a little busy, he took time to sit and go over things thoroughly with me to make sure I understood the protocol and how to adjust my dosage and such. He also let me air my own feelings about making the switch to insulin, which so far are pretty positive.

I think it's a good change, though not one I thought I would have to make this soon. I have no qualms about injecting myself....I used to work emergency medical services and practiced injections and iv's on ourselves and others...I had gotten to the point where I could start an IV in my own left arm, hehehe. So, I really have no issues with doing my own injections.

What concerns me the most really is what damage was/is being done to my kidneys, given the failure and all. We talked about that as well and he is going to go ahead and set me up with a nephrologist. I haven't had this doctor very long, my old one left the group. So far, I am impressed with the quality of care I am getting from him, I hope it stays that way.

Anyway, off to work on a bit more of our Thanksgiving dinner. Have a great day one and all!

kabir14 responded:
It is establishe fact the worst abused profession is
1. Politicians
2. Lawyers
3. Judges
4. Doctors
5. Media
6. Financials
These professionals are the main destroyer of USA
So is it not a proof of your Doctor a criminal greedy.
Well it is Hard but not impossible to control Sugar level in our blood. The basic rule is...Then again the rule varies..by
Individual life style and by the Doctor or RD
Divide your weight by 4 say you are 160lbs Divide by 4 that ggives you roughly 48 units. Divided between basal and Fast acting insulin. (This is a very very very rough estimates and calculation it may be way way off)
Sugar is controled by
1. Proper food intake I meant the portion and quality.
2. Proper Exercise.
3. Proper medication
4. Stress level
Adjust this day to day check your blood as often as you can before and two hours after meal etc
Never never never never let it go out of your contro since everything is in your hands

Tess2010 responded:
Liladieni, I am sorry to hear about your recent ER visit. It sounds like you are very good at measuring and understanding extreeme condtions. I have started insulin a few years ago after years of medication, diet and exercise. My doctor was very forthright that my pancreas is just not able to produce enough of my own insulin. I feel much more incontrol of my blood sugar results with the insulin and medications. The "Pens" make injections very portable, quick, accurate, and easy. The needles are so fine that they do not bother me at all. Best of luck, keep pushing for your own health and stay connected to your diabetic coordnator.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.