Skip to content
Confused
DGroose posted:
Does anyone know why my fasting morning
blood sugars are high (141) in the morning but normal all day?

betatoo responded:
It is called dawn syndrome involving the low BG of the early morning and a spurt of released glucose from the liver to cover it. Other causes could be a late night carbohydrate snack that digests slowly, sometimes a snack that has been digested with an alcoholic drink that slows the digestion of the carbohydrates until later. Take your choice.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

You could be experience something called the "Dawn Phenomenon". Here is a link to a good article on this subject in the excellent WebMD Diabetes Health Center: http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/dawn-phenomenon-and-the-somogyi-effect-
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

DGroose replied to betatoo's response:
Interesting. But I haven't been having a snack because of readings in the morning. Dr. just sprung this on me and I don't go to him until first week of Dec.

DGroose replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.