Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thanksgiving feast.
rocketbob posted:
Its been a couple of hours now since i finished off a second piece of pumpkin cheesecake as part of my Thanksgiving meal. This was in addition to the usual turkey spuds and gravey. Took my blood sugar and it was 164. I was a little shocked since I expected a much higher reading. It was a respectable 108 at lunchtime, but a four o clock candy snack jumped me to 146 before dinner. The sad part is i can almost bet if I take my BG at three this morning I will more than likely be well past 200. The Glipizide my primary has been giving me has yet to get me low fasting numbers. Thank God thanksgiving is over and i can return to my diet.

Debsbears responded:
I am almost certain that the 2 pieces of pumpkin cheesecake had something to do with the high number you got.

I had only 2 tbs of the traditional meal which included potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserol, cheese broccoli and cranberry sauce with the exception of the turkey I had a good size of the turkey breast no skin and no gravey.

They did have many other things for dinner but that is all I ate. I drank water and 6oz of white grape beverage. I did not eat any dessert. My sugar was 88, 2 hrs later. The pies didn't even phase me they had 2 kinds of pumpkin, apple and cherry. Looked good but not tempting.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

laura2gemini2 responded:
I'm not suprised the Glipizide is not working as expected. All the medication does is make your pancreas pump out more insulin. It's not very regulated as to when the insulin will be pumped out, and if you dont make enough insulin to start with it wont do very much to help.

Your sugar levels may become higher later than expected if you eat a meal high in fat. Fat delays the absorption of carbs, so by the time your sugar spikes the insulin has passed it's peak.

rocketbob replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Thanks for your reply. Actually the Glipizide has been working during the day giving me much lower numbers than I ever had on the metformin. After my Thanksgiving feast my morning number was 172 which though not good was much better than the 250 or so i was averaging on the Met. Its been less than a month on the new meds so I am still in an adjustment period. Additionally, because of a bad fall off a laddder a couple of weeks ago in which I broke a transverse, I havan't been able to exercise like I should so I am hoping for better control after I heal a bit more.

rocketbob replied to Debsbears's response:
Thanks Debsbears for your reply. You are to be comended for your restraint at what I am sure was a tempting meal. Compared to past feasts before my diabetes was discovered I can safely say this years consumption was very modest. Still, I will have to strive to do better this Christmas..

Debsbears replied to rocketbob's response:
Rocketbob I do have to admit warm apple pie is a weakness for me, but I choose not to have any.

My friend who took me there said I was being rude for not trying some. I told her it's not being rude when I said nicely no thank you I have eaten enough. I was full and I just didn't want any dessert. She knows I am a diabetic.

Rocketbob forgive me for asking but what is a transverse? You keep talking about breaking it when you fell off the ladder, I have never heard of that.

I also have many things wrong with me and I can not exercise at all so I do know what you are going to some extent. The only kind of exercise I get is walking. That is why I have to watch everything I eat. My diabetes has been in remission for almost 3 yrs now, I am no longer on meds and I plan on keeping it that way just by watching what I eat.

A transverse is a wing like arm on your vertabrea (ms). I broke the first one 12 years ago from a different fall off a ladder that also broke my pelvis, hip, tail and pubic bones. As a result I don't bend very well but there are plenty in far worse shape than me so I am grateful just to get around ect. Congrats on your control.

Thank you for the clarification. I certainly understand not being able to bend if you click on my Christmas Bears you can read my story about my medical issues.

My prayers will be with you to get your sugars under control. Deb

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
Rocket, Laura & Deb:

Thanks for sharing the challenges you all faced at Thanksgiving! Us "non-diabetics" usually just focus on the calories and at what point during the meal do we have to undo the top button of our pants (not for me, I wear leggings with an elastic waist - ha, ha).

Deb, I'm always flabbergasted when people are aggressively pushing food - especially with your friend knowing you are diabetic! Good for you for choosing your health over some delish.

Anyone else want to share how the "big meal" went? And the leftovers!

Haylen

I Checked out your blog and i must say in comparison I a almost perfectly fit. Most of your conditions are somewhat beyond my comprehendions and frankly none of which i would wish to become intimate with.Diabetes of course isn't something i wanted to know much about either until i was diagnosed. Its fair I think to say life does not outside of hinesight prepare us well for what we may later be forced to learn. Consequently, one can almost always be grateful for what may never happen if not ever thankful for what already has. Years ago when I fractured my pelvis while living in a halfway house for recovering alcoholics there were some at the meetings who thought bad events were God's way of teaching us humility. Personally, I think God has better things on his mind than handing out lessons in misery of which it would seem you have had more than your share. However, I think your determination to prevail in all these challanges is an inspiring testomony to not just your faith but evidence of an enduring strength. In regards to my perfect health, I have chronic Pancreatitis, a thickened colon, lymph nodes in my adomen and legions on my liver which according to my primary I have had for years. Thanks for sharing your blog. I have to blast off for now, so heres to your own liftoff....rocketbob. (Oh by the way, I live in Wisconsin too).

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.