Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hello
colesmom63 posted:
Hi everyone:
I am not diagnosed with diabetes yet, but my Dr has me checking my gglucose levels 2 hours post prandial. I have all the signs and symptoms but my A1C is within normal ranges. I have RA and Lupus which were diagnosed but my blood tests all came back normal. My Dr told me I am just one of those people that can diabetes and have a normal A1C. I know it is weird. Anyways, these are my numbers 2 hours after eating 148, 160, 148, 115, 104 and 102, within the last 3 days. Are they high or normal? I can't find a reference for this. Thanks in advance.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi, Glucose readings in a person without diabetes when tested 2 hours after meals tend to be in the "normal" range of 70-to less than 125 mg/dl, however according to most sources it can be as high as 140 in the time frame and still be considered normal. The goal for people with diabetes is less than 180 when tested 2 hours after a meal, however there are health care providers who recommend tighter control on an individual basis, depending on factors such as type of diabetes and age of the individual. In a young person it is likely to be recommended that the individual have tighter control to prevent long term complications. In an lder person it may be recommended to have slightly higher goals throughout the day to prevent low glucose and the potential consequences, sich as falls. Here are two reliable sources of additional information; I have included the Joslin site because it shows a comparison between those with and without diabetes.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose-control

http://www.joslin.org/info/Goals-for-Blood-Glucose-Control.html

Kind regards, Laurie

colesmom63 replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
So some of mine are considered high then? Today I tested at 58 and 68 2 hours post prandial, which is low. I am 49 yrs old, overweight and not active.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.