Skip to content
Pump battery question
LyleWright posted:
Howdy,
I use an insulin pump and am on my second pump since starting on one about 6 years back. The new pump, MiniMed Paradigm 723L, has a larger reservoir and works better with my CG sensors. My old pump was having trouble with the sensor communication.
My new pump instruction manual says not to use "Lithium" batteries, so I have been using the "Energizer Max" and changing them when the battery indicator drops to 3/4, about once per week.
With my old pump, I had been using the Energizer "Lithium" battery and had to change it every two months. Now, maybe I need an attitude adjustment, but I do not like having to replace the battery every week.
I suspect the warning against using lithium is because of the rapid drop off rate when the lithium retires, versus the slower drop off rate of the alkaline battery.
Anyone else with thoughts, answers to why the warning against lithium?

Take the Poll

What battery in your pump?
  • Energizer Max
  • Energizer Lithium
  • Other
vote
View Poll Results

anon123567 responded:
follow your pump manufacture's guidelines or risk voiding your warranty. I use the animas ping and it recommends using energizer lithium batteries, but I can use an alkaline if I want (there is a setting in the pump to change the battery type)

If the medtroinc warns against using lithium, there's probably a reason. Call support asd ask them, that's what they're for

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.