Skip to content
Diabetes blood sugars over 400
davidson8 posted:
What can happen if a person has a blood sugar over 400 for more than an hour my mom took 10 units of humalog over an hour ago and her blood sugar is still over 400 and she will not go to the hospital. what can i do.
MrsCora01 responded:
Sometimes it can take more than an hour for really high blood sugar to go down. She needs to keep testing either hourly or sometimes I would even test on the half hour. It may take several hours to go down as there is increased insulin resisitance when sugars are up. If it doesn't go down at all in a while (rapid acting insulin typically stops being effective after 4 hours in a lot of people), so at that point you will have to decide whether to go to emergency or take another shot. It is important to try to speak to the doctor too and get some professional advice. The above is what I would do, but if you Mom is physically ill, I would go to the ER right away.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
She may need to try a new vial of humalog. Sometimes they go bad and are ineffective. You also need to make sure she is drinking plenty of liquids-dehydration is a serious side effect of high blood sugar. Here is more information on Blood Sugar/Diabetes Emergencies

If she is having symptoms of high blood sugar, or if her blood sugar is greater than 180 mg/dL for more than a week, or if she has two consecutive readings greater than 300 mg/dL, call your health care provider. In most cases, your doctor will suggest changes in your diabetes management plan.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.