Skip to content
Foot Neuropathy
An_249207 posted:
I am a 67 male with foot neuropathy (without the foot pain associated with this condition) - My question is will my feet weaken in time or can this condtion remain as is until I'm hopefully in my 80's?

nutrijoy responded:
Diabetic neuropathy is due to nerve damage that often occurs if you have diabetes. Elevated blood sugar can injure nerve fibers throughout your body but diabetic neuropathy most often becomes symptomatic in the nerves of your legs and feet as well as the GI system (i.e., gastroparesis). If the elevated blood sugar levels continue uncontrolled in a diabetic, the damage to nerves as well as internal organs throughout the body will progress and more serious complications are virtually guaranteed to be forthcoming in the future.

Complications are virtually 100% preventable but it requires aggressive treatment of elevated blood sugars. The latter requires a combination of lifestyle modifications, dietary changes and, for many, appropriate medications including, if indicated, insulin. As a former sufferer of foot drop syndrome and neuropathy myself (both of which are now a distant memory), I can attest to the value of normalizing blood sugar levels and I am NOT referring to the ADA recommendations of keeping A1c levels <7.0. Instead, my own personal target is to keep A1c readings below 5.6 (mine is currently 4.9).

Yes, you can live well into your eighties without having neuropathy and other complications progress but that is less likely to happen if your blood sugar levels remain high (i.e., if you fall short of the mark in your efforts to attack the problem aggressively enough).[br> [br>

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.