Skip to content
Lowering Blood Sugar Quickly
lpsimpson posted:
Thank you so much for this website and your comments! Reading your comments has helped me as diabetic try things within the realm of my sickness and not be dangerous. It has also enlightened me and helped me to realize that I AM ALLERGIC TO STARCHY CARBS - COMPLETELY!!! (that was hard to admit) My health manager put me on the following to manage my diabetes and to loose weight 2 months ago: 1400 cal, 158 carbs, 88 protein, 47 fat. It was not until after reading your comments that I realized the starchy carbs may be my problem altogether! My blood sugar has not been a steady stream for 3 days in a row....it runs 125 in the morning - upon rising....after breakfast, about the same and dinner up in the 140-180. There have been times that I've experienced great numbers when I graze throughout the day and not eat three traditional meals! I cried when I saw the following numbers 86, 96,106! My goal to aspire to...... This week I am sick with flu systems, not to much of an appetite, and it has been ridiculously high, 199 this morning....I am taking prednisone, hydrocodone cough syrup, and an inhaler. I am feeling better today with the flu systems. I am anxious to try cutting out all starchy cards and to break my 2000 mg of Metformin HCL into four doses instead of two! Thank all of you for sharing your experiences.....they have been helpful and enlightening and I will report back of my progress in a few weeks or so!

Be Well! lpsimpson

auriga1 responded:
Way to go!

I'm extremely allergic to carbs, too. No such thing, but makes great sense. Can't eat them without my BS going into the stratosphere.

Yep, your numbers will be ridiculously high with the steroids you're taking. They'll come down once you are off those meds.

Congratulations to you for taking on a healthier lifestyle.

betatoo responded:
I joke about it with people saying that I am starch intolerant. However, I realized a few years ago that for me that was the best definition of the disease. When I remove my starches especially white, my numbers stay down. I still have a piece of toast in the morning, and still have an occasional sandwich. The sandwich is usually related to times of higher exercise(kayaking, or bicycle).

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Me, too, Beta, on consuming very few carbs. I aim for no more than 15-20 TOTAL grams of carbohydrates at a meal and 10 at a snack to avoid after-meal high numbers. I need to eat, therefore, more snacks in a day than most diabetics here on this thread, and still keep my total for the day under 100 grams. This includes my veggies and all carbs listed in a purchased food. Still on no meds after 4 years. It amazes me that all my diabetic friends eat what they want and cover it with insulin now. When I first knew them, they were not on insulin yet.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
I hear you! Out bowling on my team the other day, guy next to me and I were talking about hunting. He said his eyes were so bad he couldn't see deer in the woods unless they were running. I asked him "how come", his reply was "sugars". Uhh, here he drinks a 24oz regular soda while bowling. I asked him what he was doing for it, "take a pill, but sugars are still high, I don't have to take insulin". In the end I found he eats all sorts of starches, desserts etc, and has symptoms including thirst, urination, numbness in feet, and eye problems. Seems like a lazy mentality, but he's a nice guy. Too bad.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.