Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried - Do I have diabetes?
captainmoon posted:
I have been experiencing some strange symptoms these past few weeks that would indicate diabetes - often feeling tired, frequent headaches, and then this past weekend out of nowhere I began urinating a LOT. Upwards of 8-10 times/day on Sunday.

Saw my doctor yesterday and she said I likely have a UTI, and prescribed me antibiotics even though my only symptom is frequent urination. And I'm not particularly thirsty or drinking more than usual. I asked her about the possibility of diabetes and she basically dismissed the idea.

I decided to go buy a blood glucose monitor and test myself. 1.5 hours after lunch I was 145 mg/dL! Waited another hour and it dropped to 130. Decided to go for a long walk and tested it again - 85 mg/dL. Two hours after dinner it jumped up again to 152. From what I know, this is not normal.

I just tested it again after eating only a banana in the last three hours - it is now 110 mg/dL. Will test it again in the morning after "fasting." But regardless - these numbers don't seem in the normal range - mainly after I eat. Does this explain my frequent urination and tiredness?

I should mention that I have been dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety lately as well, and will admit to being a hypochondriac. But these symptoms, paired with somewhat high BG numbers, seem hard to ignore. I also had blood and urine tests done at the doctors, and waiting on the results of those.

Any feedback is appreciated!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Your numbers are in the normal range. Here are the standards:

Fasting blood glucose reading (10-12 hours without food or drink other than water): 80-100 is normal, 101-125 could indicate pre-diabetes, 126 could indicate diabetes. Two consecutive tests like this are used to determine the diagnosis.

Two hours after a meal: 140 or lower, some standards say 180 or lower.

Based on the numbers you are getting, it does not appear that your have diabetes. Stress definitely raises blood glucose readings even in people who do not have diabetes.

I have had several UTI's in the past and have had the symptoms you describe which include the frequent urination and tiredness.

You should continue to follow-up with your doctor regarding your symptoms.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears responded:
Hi and welcome to the diabetes board. I have had 4 UTIs in one year with no symptoms except frequency of urine. I would be in my Dr's office for other things and the urine tests always came back UTI. It is hard not knowing what is wrong if you don't have symptoms to pin it on.

I am not a Dr, nurse or Diabetes Educator just a patient with type 2 diabetes. Before you panic please test your sugars in the morning before eating anything readings should be below 125 but above 70. If you do this a few mornings and get at least 2 readings above 126 then you could schedule an appt. with your primary care doctor or an Endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes.

I was taught to test my sugars first time in the morning before eating and 2 hrs after my last bite of food. Banana's in the evening is never a good thing (too much sugar) unless you eat lean protein with it.

Your numbers after you eat are within the ADA guide lines, certain foods we eat can contribute to higher numbers. If you read Dr. Dansingers tips and resources that will help you in getting your numbers down.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

captainmoon replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you for the responses.

I measured my BG this morning after not eating for about 9 hours - it was 97 mg/dL. A little high?

But what really scared me was the reading I got one hour after breakfast - 162! I didn't even eat that much, I had a bagel with cream cheese and a glass of orange juice. Two hours after breakfast it dropped down to 123, but that first number really scared me.

I guess the fact that it drops back down after a few hours is a good sign, but I don't get why it spikes so high. I also feel really tired after I eat my meals. I do eat a a lot of carbs, but I never really felt like this in the past.

davedsel57 replied to captainmoon's response:
There is no point in testing your blood glucose less than 2 hours after eating, unless you enjoy being scared with a higher number. All humans blood glucose levels raise during the digestion process.

The 123 is fine. The 97 is fine. Change your lifestyle so that your are more active and eating less carbs, and you may never know the challenge of managing diabetes.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears replied to captainmoon's response:
Hi I agree with Dave 97 is within the normal margins.

You said you didn't eat that much - orange juice and a bagel would send my sugars up - but then again I won't test it at the one hr mark either. 2 hrs after eating your high carb breakfast of 123 is also normal.

Please what Dr Michael Dansinger has to say about Conquering Diabetes. If you watch what you eat now you could possibly avoid diabetes. You really do not want to be labeled a diabetic.

Your numbers look good to me. Test in the morning for a week, keep a journal and see what your numbers are 2 hrs after eating. Dr. D. also has a blog on a food record.

auriga1 replied to captainmoon's response:
Everyone will have a higher blood glucose reading one hour after eating carbs. Did you check and see how many carbs are in one bagel? Quite a few. More than I should eat at any one meal.

There is no use or value of testing one hour after eating any kind of carbs. That number means nothing to you or your doctor. I did an experiment on my husband who is non-diabetic and testing 1/2 hour after eating a carb-loaded meal, including junk food after. It was 156. Two hours later, it was within normal range.

Eating lots of carbs spikes one's blood sugar. When one's blood sugar is higher, fatigue sets in. Cut down on carbs and watch what happens.

captainmoon replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks. I guess I am over thinking these numbers. But at the same time, I don't get why I am experiencing a lot of diabetes-like symptoms even if my numbers are relatively normal.

The frequent urination hasn't gone away, even though I've been on antibiotics for 3 days now. It leads me to believe it's not a UTI. I'm needing to go around 7 times a day -- usually I never go more than 4 times. I am also still fatigued after meals, and get hunger pains at times.

Is it possible that someone who is "pre-diabetic" would exhibit some of these signs? I'm just very afraid that I'm heading towards type I, since all of this seems to have happened very suddenly. I really don't know if I could handle that.

flutetooter replied to captainmoon's response:
Captain, I had similar numbers at the beginning stage of "prediabetes". Guess what, I followed a fairly strict diabetic diet with few enough carbohydrates so as NOT to go up to 150s-180s even right after a meal, and now 4 years later, I am STILL a PREdiabetic! A completely NON diabetic person will probably not go up past 125-140 even right after a meal and a fasting number for NON diabetics is actually 85. Doctors don't usually start treating people until they get up higher, but by cutting down on the carbs now, your doctor may tell you what mine told me- that I would probably never be a full blown diabetic because of my eating program, weight loss, and exercise program. That said, any time I should begin eating normally again, my sugars are up over 200. Three of those numbers any time as random blood sugar numbers would label me a diabetic according to some articles.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 replied to captainmoon's response:
Type 1 diabetes is a disease of the auto-immune system. Your numbers would probably be a lot higher than what you are seeing. Type 1 diabetics require insulin in order to survive for the rest of their lives.

Only your doctor can tell you what is going on. Stress can raise your blood sugar levels. Illness can raise your blood sugar levels. You are taking antibiotics for a bladder infection. Infections are known to raise blood sugar levels. Any kind of infection is a stressor on the body.

Wait for your lab results to come back.

captainmoon replied to auriga1's response:
It seems obvious to me at this point that it isn't a bladder infection. I'm afraid I'm heading towards full blown diabetes. But what confuses me is my numbers are up and down - after a heavy meal it has gone as high as 175. But then it drops again to the low 100s. My fasting number this morning was 95.

But the symptoms are all there - frequent urination, very hungry throughout the day, headaches and fatigue after eating. But wouldn't my numbers need to be significantly higher...consistently over 180? Only thing I'm really not experiencing is the excessive thirst, which is strange.

I'm just in shock. Where did all of this suddenly come from? I'm an otherwise heathy 24 year old. Never did I think I'd be dealing with these types of health issues.

davedsel57 replied to captainmoon's response:
At this point the only thing you can do is continue to pursue this with your doctor. Start living a lifestyle as though you were diabetic now in the event it is pre-diabetes. You can manage this for decades without medication and ultimate complications if you are diligent now.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears replied to captainmoon's response:
Frequent urination could also mean incontinence of one kind or another. I have 2 kinds stress and urge incontinence - no matter how little or how much I drink my brain tells my bladder I have to go.

I have to see a urologist for this and take meds for it. If you ever saw those commercials where they talk about bladder leaks or I got go and now that was me. I had tests to see if it was diabetes or my bladder. That was when I was in my early 30's. Meds have helped in that area.

Your high numbers after eating could also mean you are eating a very high carb meal or the wrong foods.

Please go see your Dr. if you are concerned. Have the necessary tests done to rule out or in what these things are.

fcl replied to Debsbears's response:
Frequent urination can also indicate a prostate problem. The tiredness could indicate anemia (have yoiu got your results back yet?). It's perfectly possible to suffer from several unrelated things at the same time - keep digging until you get to the bottom of this.

captainmoon replied to fcl's response:
Well my urine sample came back -- there was no bacteria in the urine, so there was never an infection. Also, no sugar.

My doctor sent me to an endocrinologist who I saw today. She did a fasting blood sugar test which came to 89. She really is as confused as I am - basically told me, "you have all the symptoms of diabetes, but your blood sugar numbers do not indicate that you have diabetes." She is also doing an A1C to be sure.

It's very frustrating - what else can possible cause frequent urination and hunger, fatigue, weight loss? All signs point to diabetes.

Just curious for anyone that would know - but at what blood sugar levels do these symptoms such as frequent urination/hunger/thirst, etc. begin to appear? And for them to persist, does blood sugar need to remain elevated for an extended period of time, or will a brief spike bring about these symptoms?

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.