Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
strung a long with diabetes
cnadygirl53 posted:
I was talking with my diabetes nurse who does these classes, and she told me once diagnosed with diabetes that was it, you're a diabetic, so I asked her even though I am fine and she said yes. But I am starting to wonder if I am a diabetic I mean even when my blood glucose is high I feel fine, and despite the fact I stopped taking my metformin for over two months I still feel fine, yesterday It felt as if my body was shaking, and I was tired so I went to the er, the nurse said my blood sugar was 93 which was fine, so I left I think it's all in my head and I can if I wanted to be rid of this diabetes. For many who have struggled with this for years I get you may find this hard to believe but for those who haven't you get this right. No meds for two months and I feel fine so why am I being told I have to do this and take this when I am fine you wouldn't take medicines for a fever if you haven't got a fever so why take medicines for diabetes when I don't have the symptoms. Any thoughts?

davedsel57 responded:
Many people do not feel any symptoms when their blood glucose is high.

Your diabetes nurse is totally correct. There is no cure for diabetes. You have successfully put yourself in remission, or another term is that you have reversed your diabetes.

Diabetes is a serious, permanent condition. You will always need to be careful with your lifestyle and check your blood glucose readings often. You could have high readings again at any time and ultimately experience symptoms and complications.

Congratulations on reversing your diabetes. Continue to be vigilant and you can stay in that phase for a long period of time.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 responded:
I always felt perfectly fine. I was diagnosed when hospitalized with something else. My blood sugars were averaging 350 daily. I didn't know it because I didn't feel anything different. Absolutely no defining symptoms that many deal with.

Once a diabetic, always a diabetic. It can be controlled with diet and exercise alone or the combo of the two with meds and/or insulin. Diabetes requires a lifestyle change.

Many people do not have symptoms of diabetes. Apparently, your doctor thought you had diabetes and felt it necessary to presribe meds. You really should be testing daily to see where your blood sugars stand, whether you feel good or not.

brunosbud responded:
"Any thoughts?"

It's estimated that 80 million Americans may be diabetic or prediabetic. 30% are diagnosed while the other 70%?

Feel "fine"...

flutetooter responded:
Canadygirl, I just reread all your previous posts. It sounds like you are not quite ready to admit or believe that you are a diabetic and want to start doing something about it. You mention falling asleep while making french fries and burning your feet and having many UTI infections and spending time in the hospital. Once you start following a strict diabetic diet, you many see a change in health for the better. Otherwise, you will probably just wait for an ampution to clue you into getting serious about this disease.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

dfoelker responded:
cnadygirl53
The fact that you were shaky and didn't feel good when your sugar was at 93 might be telling in itself. If your body is used to higher sugars, then it can feel like 93 is too low. I had to get used to being in the normal range because I felt better when my sugars were high. I used to feel like crap when my sugar was under 100. The thing is, you can't really tell when it is high probably and high sugars do damage to your body that you don't realize until later. Take of this now, take it seriously and admit that you have diabetes, trust me it will be better in the long run. Best wishes.

Debsbears responded:
Once a diabetic always a diabetic. I am T 2 was Dx'd in 2007, was treated with meds, went to classes, and vowed to get rid of it. I took my meds as directed by my Dr. changed my diet, been off the Metformin since 2010 with my Drs permission. I am still a diabetic just in remission and I will do everything I can to stay that way.

I never had highs above 140 unless I was on Prednisone or antibiotics then it went as high as 200. The point I'm trying to make is diabetes will always be with us even if we aren't on meds. It is a lifestyle change not just once in awhile. If you had symptoms at 93 then you are in need of the meds because you are still getting highs and don't know it.

Yesterday - there was something not right - I got shaky, dizzy and sick feeling, I felt like I was going to pass out - I tested and I was 43 so I did what I needed to do to get it back up. It took a half hour but I finally got it up to 81 and then I was okay. The symptoms passed as fast as they came on.

Anything below 70 is considered low, 93 is normal.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

rocketbob replied to Debsbears's response:
Glad to hear your symptoms passed in short order. Can't be going off the deep end with the holidays upon us.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.