Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin making my bg too low?
jschifty posted:
About a year ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I was put on metformin, diet, and lifestyle changes. About 2 weeks ago, I started having LOW blood sugar symptoms. I stopped taking the metformin. When I checked my BG while feeling swimmy headed, confused, etc...it was usually below 100. Today it was 80 and I felt awful! I ate and took a nap. When I woke up it was 141 and I felt better. I can't shake the swimmy headed feeling, but the other symptoms are gone. Is it possible the metformin has swung my BG too far the other way?

jschifty responded:
just realized I am totally off base as to what a "normal" BG reading should be...don't know why I have been feeling so bad...best to call my doctor at this point...

davedsel57 replied to jschifty's response:
Hello.

You answered your own question perfectly. Our bodies do get used to the higher numbers and when we get them into control we often experience symptoms similar to an actual low. This has been discussed in this WebMD Diabetes Community often. Usually the member's doctor will advise to wean off the medication and check blood glucose numbers often. If no meds are taken and the symptoms persist the body may simply still getting used to living at glucose levels that are normal again.

Yes, call your doctor to discuss all this. If the symptoms persist too long and you are not on diabetes medication, other issues may be the cause.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

fda guidelines on metformin, wifeofdiabetic
A 29-week double blind study included in FDA guidelines shows the difference in Ac1 hemoglobin percentage drop difference between those ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.